The photograph above: 1934 Oct Ex-Buglers Association at Church Parade
- Between 1860-68 – Pipe Major Alexander M. Oliphant (the Highland Company appears to have had a pipe band or at least some pipers before it was disbanded in 1868)
Bandmasters/Directors of Music
- 1862-66 – Adam Maul
- 1866-67 – Henry F. Chalaupka
- 1867-72 – R. W. Robinson
- 1873-75 – The band was disbanded and
the instruments were sold
- 1875-79 – William Carey
- 1879-1901 – John Bayley (22 years)
- 1901-14 – WO George J. Timpson
- 1914-20 – B. H. Barrow
- 1921-28 – Captain R. B. Hayward
- 1928-45 – Captain James J. Buckle (17 years)
- 1945-47 – ?
- 1947-68 – Captain William T. Atkins (21 years)
- 1968-71 – Captain Jack Long
- 1971-76 – Captain John O’Brien
- 1976-84 – Captain George Gresham
- 1984-87 – Captain Steve Irwin CD
- 1987-90 – Lieutenant Denny Ringler CD
- 1990-94 – Captain Steve Irwin CD
- 1994-95 – WO Charles “Chuck” Benson CD
- 1996-? – Captain Rita Arendz CD (16 + years)
- 2014 – Present – Capt Megan Hodge CD
1865-76 – Bugle Major Francis Clarke
- 1876-1923 – Bugle Major Charles Swift (47 years)
- 1923-23 – Sergeant J. U. Woolley
- 1923-39 – Bugle Major Frank Gardiner (16 years)
- 1939-54 – Bugle Major Robert (Bob) Wilson MM (15 years)
- 1942-45 – Bugle Major A. V. Cousins (2nd Bn while 1st Bn was overseas)
- 1954-54 – Bugle Major Jack
- 1954-58 – Bugle Major Jim Kaiser
- 1958-61 – Bugle Major Gord J. Callaghan CD
- 1961-66 – Bugle Major R. L. “Bob” Price
- 1967-72 – Bugle Major John Doeg
- 1971-84 – Bugle Major Syd Byatt CD (13 years)
- 1985-86 – Bugle Major Phil Ten Kortenaar CD
- 1986-89 – Bugle Major Frank Watt CD
- 1989-2013 – Bugle Major Fred Haire CD (24 years)
- 2013-17 – Warrant Officer Emily Kenny, CD
- 2017-18 – Sergeant Marcel Sekine (Acting)
- 2018-19 – Sergeant Major Dominique Arsenault
- 2019-Present – Sergeant Matthew McMulkin
1st Battalion (Regular Force)
- ?(during 1954) to ? – Bugle Major Ted Langley
- 1955 to at least 1962? – Bugle Major W. Roy E. Bruce OMM, CD
- 1964 – Bugle Major Fred J. Breurkens
- 1965 – Bugle Major Fred J. Breurkens
- 1966-67 – Bugle Major Walter Houstachenko CD
- 1968-69 – Bugle Major Ove Sorenson
- 1969-70 – Bugle Major Sergeant H. J. (Jim) P.E. Schulz
2nd Battalion (Regular Force)
- 53? -54? – Bugle Major Sergeant “Lucky” Dwyer
- ? – ? – Bugle Major Ed Bogan
- 1960 – Bugle Major Sergeant F.H. Lacroix
- 1960s – Bugle Major Ron Elliott
- 1963 – Bugle Major Frank Lacroix
- 1964 – Bugle Major Leith Ewart
13 thoughts on “Bandmasters and Bugle Majors (and a Pipe Major)”
Hello! I’m looking to see if anyone has any photos of the band or information from the 50’s-60’s. My grandfather, Gord J. Callaghan (seen above as the bugle major from 1958-61), was in the band. He played the drums and the bugle. Thanks!
Hi Natasha – We were very sorry to have heard that your grandfather just passed away. I checked in our museum catalog and don’t seen any photos tagged with your grandfather. There are over 350 photos in a Band and Bugles album (several “pages” worth) on our Flickr site – so all I can suggest is you look through those and perhaps might find something: https://www.flickr.com/photos/qormuseum/albums/72157661609146461
Sorry we can’t be more help.
Nayasha, there is a photo of him in front of the Bugle Band in 1960 at the link to our Flickr page:
Trying to trace family name Timpson. I see in some records G.J. or G.L or G.I. as band leader . Can you confirm the name and initials. Thanks
According to the regimental history published in 1960, the bandmaster was G. (for George) L. Timpson. This was transcribed incorrectly on some pages of our site which has now been corrected.
I believe there was a Bugle Major FRED MERCER in the late 60’s when QOR were re-badged PPCLI. Not sure if it was 1st or 2nd Bn.
1964 2nd bn bugle major Leith Ewart not John Ewart.
Thanks very much – we’ve fixed that. Is it possible for you to tell us how long Leith was Bugle Major (more than just 1964??) and who took over after him?
Queen’s Own Rifles’ Bugle Major Frank Gardiner, 1926-1939… is My Grand Father
John – if you have a biography and/or photograph of your grandfather, we would be pleased to create a profile page for him in our “Rifleman” section of this site! You can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bugle Major, Sergeant Lucky Dwyer Second Cdn. Rifle Battalion 1953-54 Camp Ipperwash, Ontario.
I left for Korea in March 1954. So this is the last contact that I had with him.
Knew Lucky briefly, around 1958 at Niagara. He was a Sgt then, 2nd Bn if memory serves. Didn’t know he had been Bugle Major.
1st Bn Houstachenko 1966-67. Sorenson 1968-69. Shulz 1969-70. Herb Pitts CO 1st Bn during this period (67-69.)