The Fenian Raid 1866

Queen’s Own Rifles, painted by John Hood, Mural in Oshawa, Ontario, Photo by J. Gray (2008)

In the fall and winter of 1865 and the spring of 1866 there were rumours in Toronto of an imminent invasion of Canada by the Fenian Brotherhood. The militia was put on a heightened state of readiness and the Queen’s Own were called to active service on 7 March 1866, in anticipation of a St. Patrick’s Day attack. They stayed on active duty for three weeks until the threat of invasion subsided. This was the beginning of the Fenian Raids.

The Fenian Brotherhood was an Irish American organization that was dedicated to freeing Ireland from British rule. Many of them were Civil War veterans who believed that if they captured Canada they could use it as a bargaining tool against Britain. In the fall of 1865 they organized themselves into an army and began their preparations to invade Canada. In March of 1866 they met in Cincinnati and formulated their plan. Unfortunately, their security was not very good and both the Canadian authorities and the American government knew what they were planning.

In April, an invasion of New Brunswick was halted when American officials seized a shipload of arms headed for waiting Fenian troops in Maine. The American government would not permit a violation of the Neutrality Act.

On 1 June 1866, the Fenians invaded Canada. With 1,500 men they crossed the Niagara River just north of Fort Erie. Upon landing they established a defensive position and sent out patrols. Their first operation was to occupy the town of Fort Erie where they demanded food and horses from the citizens. They offered Fenian bonds as payment but the Canadians refused to accept them. Telegraph wires were cut and railroad tracks were torn up. The Fenians issued this proclamation;

To the people of British America:

We come among you as foes of British rule in Ireland. We have taken up the sword to strike down the oppressors’ rod, to deliver Ireland from the tyrant, the despoiler, the robber. We have registered our oaths upon the altar of our country in the full view of heaven and sent out our vows to the throne of Him who inspired them. Then, looking about us for an enemy, we find him here, here in your midst, where he is most vulnerable and convenient to our strength. . . . We have no issue with the people of these Provinces, and wish to have none but the most friendly relations.

Our weapons are for the oppressors of Ireland. our bows shall be directed only against the power of England; her privileges alone shall we invade, not yours. We do not propose to divest you of a solitary right you now enjoy. . . . We are here neither as murderers, nor robbers, for plunder and spoliation. We are here as the Irish army of liberation, the friends of liberty against despotism, of democracy against aristocracy, of people against their oppressors. In a word, our war is with the armed powers of England, not with the people, not with these Provinces. Against England, upon land and sea, till Ireland is free. . . .

To Irishmen throughout these Provinces we appeal in the name of seven centuries of British inequity and Irish misery and suffering, in the names of our murdered sires, our desolate homes, our desecrated altars, our million of famine graves, our insulted name and race — to stretch forth the hand of brotherhood in the holy cause of fatherland, and smite the tyrant where we can. We conjure you, our countrymen, who from misfortune inflicted by the very tyranny you are serving, or from any other cause, have been forced to enter the ranks of the enemy, not to be willing instruments of your country’s death or degradation.

No uniform, and surely not the blood-dyed coat of England, can emancipate you from the natural law that binds your allegiance to Ireland, to liberty, to right, to justice. To the friends of Ireland, of freedom, of humanity, of the people, we offer the olive branch of these and the honest grasp of friendship. Take it Irishmen, Frenchmen, American, take it all and trust it. . . . We wish to meet with friends; we are prepared to meet with enemies. We shall endeavor to merit the confidence of the former, and the latter can expect from us but the leniency of a determined though generous foe and the restraints and relations imposed by civilized warfare.

T. W. Sweeney. Major General commending the armies of Ireland

From Fort Erie, the Fenians marched north along the river toward the town of Chippewa. They realized that the Welland Canal was the most important strategic asset in the area. Chippewa controls the north end of the canal.

Meanwhile the alarm had sounded in Toronto and across the province. Thousands of militiamen were called out. The Queen’s Own Rifles paraded 356 men at 04:00 hrs on 1 June. They boarded the steamer, City of Toronto and sailed for Port Dalhousie. From there they travelled by train to Port Colburne and waited three hours while orders were prepared. The plan called for Colonel Booker’s column to travel by train to the town of Ridgeway and from there march north to meet Colonel Peacock’s column in the town of Stevensville.

In Ridgeway they made their first mistake of the day. As they assembled at the station the train blew its whistle an buglers sounded assembly calls. This noise was heard by the enemy who took it as a warning and prepared to fight. Marching north out of Ridgeway that morning, Colonel Booker had under his command the Queen’s Own Rifles of Toronto (that was our name at the time), the 13th Battalion (who later became the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry) and the York and Caledonia Rifle companies. They marched up ridge road with No 5 Company of the Queen’s Own leading.

Local inhabitants had warned Col Booker that the Fenians were near but he dismissed the reports because his intelligence told him that the enemy was camped at the Black Creek the night before. Indeed, on the evening of 1 June the Fenians had been camped at Black Creek, but when they learned that Peacock’s force was already in Chippewa, they decided to move against Booker’s weaker column. The Canadians had conveniently divided their forces so Colonel O’Neil chose to defeat them in parts rather than allow them to unite into a stronger body. To this end, the Fenians broke camp at 03:00 hrs on the morning of 2 June and marched south along Ridge road. When they heard the train whistle and bugle calls coming from Ridgeway they prepared a hasty defense.

It was hot that morning as the Queen’s Own marched through fields of new corn. As they approached Garrison Road, No 5 Company came under fire from Fenian skirmishers; the battle had begun. Initially the Fenian skirmishers fell back. They wanted to draw the Canadians toward their main line of defense. No 5 Company kept up the pressure as Colonel Booker deployed the rest of the column. The Adjutant of the Queen’s Own was Captain William Dillon Otter. This was his first battle. He went on to found the School of Infantry (later the Royal Canadian Regiment) and to lead a column in the Northwest Rebellion. He led the Canadians in South Africa and was Canada’s first home grown General. In the official account of the battle he wrote;

Second June, 1866 (Saturday), paraded at Port Colborne at 12:30 a.m. and marched to a train, on which was the 13th Battalion of Hamilton and the York and Caledonia Rifle Companies, who had arrived the night before. At 4 a.m. a detachment of a 125 officers and men of our own corps arrived from Toronto.

It was intended that the force should leave at 2 a.m., but further orders detained us until 5 a.m. These orders were from Colonel Peacock, H. M. 16th Foot, who was to be in command, and were brought by Captain Akers, Royal Engineers.

At 5 a.m., in obedience to Colonel Peacock’s orders, the force left Port Colborne, the strength being, Queen’s Own 480, 13th Battalion, York and Caledonia Companies about 400, in all say 880, under the command of Colonel Booker, 13th Battalion. Moved to Ridgeway station on the B & L. H. Railway, where we left the train and marched toward Stevensville, for the purpose of forming a junction with Colonel Peacock’s column.

Battle of Ridgeway Map by Peter Vronsky (click map for a larger version)

No. 5 Company, Q.O.R. (armed with Spencer repeating rifles), formed the advance guard, followed by the remaining companies of the battalion, the 13th Battalion and York Company, the Caledonia Company finding the rear guard. In this order the column moved about two miles, when at 7 a.m. the Fenians were discovered to our front. The advance guard was immediately extended from its centre, Nos. 1 and 2 on its left and right. No. 3 centre supports, No. 4 left, No. 7 as a flanking party to the left, supported by No. 8, and Nos. 6 flanking to the right, No. 9 and 10 in reserve. After an advance of say half a mile, No. 6 was sent as a support to No. 2 on the right. Immediately the Fenians, who were extended behind the fences, their main body being well posted in a wood, opened fire, which was immediately returned by our men, who continued steadily advancing. The firing became general, being heaviest on our centre and right. At almost the first fire Ensign McEachren was hit in the stomach, and being taken to the rear, died in twenty minutes.

We continued driving them for about an hour, when our skirmishers being reported out of ammunition, Nos. 9 and 10 companies were sent to the right, and the 13th Battalion order to relieve us, which they did by sending out three companies to skirmish, and who had not being engaged fifteen minutes, when the cry of “Cavalry” was raised at seeing two or three Fenian horsemen advancing towards us. Colonel Booker ordered the reserve (Queen’s Own) to “Prepare for Cavalry” and the companies forming it, viz.: Nos. 1,2,3,5, and 8, formed square. The mistake was immediately seen, the order given to “Reform Column” and two leading companies (Nos. 1 and 2) to “extend.” On re-forming, the reserve being too close to the skirmish line, was ordered to retire, the left-wing of the 13th who were in our rear, seeing our men retire and thinking we were retreating, broke and retired in a panic, on seeing which our men also broke and ran.

Just previous to this the retire was sounded to Nos. 1 and 2 of the Queen’s Own, who not seeing the necessity of the order, disobeyed, until it was again sounded, when they reluctantly moved to the rear, the remainder of the skirmish line doing the same, though not understanding the reason of their recall, but on seeing the reserve in disorder, they too became demoralized and fled. The fire of the now pursuing Fenians became hotter than ever, and the volunteers being crowded up in a narrow road, presented a fine target to their rifles, causing our poor fellows to fall on all sides.

It was in vain the officers endeavored to rally the men, several times squads, and even a company were collected, but never in sufficient force to check the pursuit, though a constant fire was kept up until the Fenians ceased following. For the first two or three hundred yards it was a regular panic, but after that the men fell into a walk, retiring in a very orderly manner, but completely crestfallen.

The enemy followed to Ridgeway Station and there gave up the pursuit, moving onto Fort Erie. We’ve returned to Port Colborne, arriving at about 1 p.m. very tired and hungry, not having had any sleep the previous night nor any food that day.

Had the “retire” not been sounded we should have beaten them in 10 minutes more, for part of their force was actually retreating before we commenced to retire.

General O’Neill in command of the Fenians, and other officers of their force, owned to some of our wounded whom they captured (owing to our not having ambulances or vehicles of any description) that we “behaved splendidly and were mistaken by them for regulars, owing to our steadiness, and that we had fought five minutes longer they must have succumbed, as their men were fast becoming demoralized.”

Canadian Prisoners

Daily Globe, Toronto June 11, 1866.
Daily Globe, Toronto June 11, 1866.

The following Canadians were also prisoners in the hands of the Fenians, having been captured at Ridgeway and brought back to Fort Erie by Gen. O’Neil, who subsequently abandoned them when he made his flight back across the river:

Thirteenth Battalion–Jas. S. Greenhill and Joseph Simpson.

Queen’s Own Rifles–R, W. Hines (No. 8 Company), Wm. Ellis (No. 9 Company). D. Junor (No. 9 Company), and Colin Forsythe (No. 10. Highland Company).

Sergeant Hugh Matheson, Ensign Malcolm McEachern, Private William D. Smith, Private Malcolm McKenzie and Private Charles Alderson: photo used with permission of Brian Rollason
pic 2
Private Mark Defries, Private John Harriman Mewburn, Private William Fairbanks Tempest and Corporal Francis Lakey: photo used with permission of Brian Rollason

The cost of the battle was:


Rifleman William D. Smith No. 2 Company
Lance-Corporal Mark B. Defries No. 3 Company
Ensign Malcolm McEachren No. 5 Company
Rifleman Christopher Alderson No. 7 Company
Rifleman William Fairbanks Tempest No. 9 Company
Rifleman Malcolm McKenzie No. 9 Company
Rifleman John Harriman Mewburn No. 9 Company
WOUNDED – 23 (Two died of wounds)
No. 1 Company Ensign William Fahey knee
No. 1 Company Rifleman Oulster leg (calf)
No. 2 Company Sergeant Hugh Matheson thigh
(died June 11)
No. 2 Company Corporal Francis Lakey mouth
(died June 11)
No. 2 Company Rifleman William Thompson neck
No. 3 Company Captain J. B. Boustead contused
No. 3 Company Lieutenant J. H. Beaven thigh
No. 3 Company Rifleman Charles Winter thigh
No. 4 Company Joseph Lugsden lung and arm
No. 5 Company Chas. F. Bell knee
No. 5 Company Rifleman Edward Copp wrist
No. 6 Company Lieutenant W. C. Campbell shoulder
No. 6 Company Corporal Paul Robins knee (since
No. 6 Company Rifleman J.H. Rutherford foot
No. 7 Company Sergeant William Foster side
No. 9 Company Rifleman E. T. Paul knee
No. 9 Company Rifleman R. E. Kingsford leg
No. 9 Company Rifleman E. J. Paterson arm
No. 9 Company Rifleman William Henry Vandersmissen groin
No. 10 Company Rifleman Colin Forsyth
No. 10 Company Colour-Sergeant
Forbes McHardy
No. 10 Company Rifleman Alexander Muir Arm
No. 10 Company Rifleman John White arm (since

At least four other soldiers died later of disease attributed to their service during the Fenian Raids:

Battle of Ridgeway Memorial, Toronto. Photograph by J. Gray (2009)


You can read more on the Fenian Raids:

29 thoughts on “The Fenian Raid 1866”

  1. My 4th Great Grandfather was General Charles Buggs. He was involved in the Fenian Raids. Is there anywhere that I can learn more about him? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.


    1. My Great Grandfather fought in the 1866 Fenian Raid who was a farmer in Owen Sound and was a volunteer and served for about 2 and 1/2 weeks and was granted 50 cares of land for his service. I have the medal but i’m not sure how many people have a painting of their sibling in their uniform but I was blessed to have the painting and medal. DALE

      Liked by 1 person

  2. Hello I’m hoping you can help .my 2x great grandfather John George Nadin served with 60th rifles and was in Canada for 8 years ,could you tell me if he would have been eligible for Fenian Raid .thank you


  3. Hi there! Do you have many photographs? I am searching for additional information , and hopefully a photograph of my great great grandfather Donald gibson- I believe he was ensign? I know he was in the fenian raids and qor, I know that he also assisted general grant in the civil war (we have the honorary medals and walking sticks and swords presented to him by both general grant and Canada (queen victoria?) I do have one group photo of the highland regiment but was hoping for one of him:)


  4. My GGGF, John Atfield received a
    Fenian Raid 1866 medal there is some information on the back of the card enclosed with it. 13328, 888, pie J Atfield 47th R.F., F .R. 66. Is there any additional I formation you can provide. I would like to investigate further. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated


  5. Hello my name is Dale Davis and my great grandfather fought in the 1866 Fenian raid in which I have his medal and oil painting standing in his service uniform (i am thinking there probably not to many paintings out there with his military uniform on) I am looking for as much info I can get on great grand dad. His name was Matthew John Davis born 1846 in Durham County and joined up to fight the Fenians and was a farmer in Durham county when he volenteered and all I know is his military service was about 2 and a half weeks. He was also granted land for his service but no idea where that was located. I would appreciate if you could give me as much info as you can, what regiment he was with, where his land was located etc, thank you. DALE


  6. I am searching for details about my maternal great grandfather who, according to his obituary, was a Fenian Raid Veteran. His name was John Clement Leamen and he lived in Toronto. Is it possible to learn more details of him? Also, what can you tell me about the sentiments of that time. If his wife was of Irish descent, would that have been something to try to hide?


    1. Hello, it turns-out Private John Clements Leamen served during the Fenian Raids with the 10th Royal Grenadiers, (now called the Royal Regiment of Canada).
      I do know that the Queen’s Own had many Irishmen in its ranks, I haven’t heard or read that they had a problem fighting invaders that also happened to be of Irish descent. That’s all we can provide.
      You can see the application for the Canada General Service Medal for the Fenian Raids sent by his regiment at this link at Library and Archives Canada, you may need to cut and paste into your browser:


    1. Doug – Likely the only record we would have is the nominal roll book which starts in 1866:

      Click to access queens-own-rifles-of-canada-nominal-rolls-1866-to-1882.pdf

      We have a few company nominal rolls prior to that time which are not digitized yet but off the top of my head I can’t recall for which companies.

      You can find the photograph of the Highland Coy at Stratford which is referred to in the article on our Flickr site here:

      Sorry we can’t provide more but hope this helps a bit.


  7. I have a pastel crayoned portrait of my Great Grandfather Sgt. Alexander Grant McKenzie 1845-1901. His service medal has two bars: 1866 Fenian Raids, and 1870 Riel Rebellion. He lived near Warwick, Lambton County in his youth, but took a soldier’s land grant and settled in the Red River after arrival. How do I find out more about his military service such as what Company he was with and what part he played in the Fenian Raids? I can send in a photo of the portrait if that helps.


    1. According to Library and Archives online medal records, your GGF served in the Fenian Raids with the 27th Lambton Regiment, and in the Red River expedition of 1870 with the Ontario Rifles. The former no longer exists and the latter was only a temporary battalion for the expedition.

      Library and Archives Canada does have records including paylists for 27th Lambton Battalion. The is a finding aid and Lambton regiment info is on page 458. If you know someone with access to you can probably find the paylists there as well.

      Good luck with your searching!


      1. Dynamite reply! Thank you. Very helpful. I’m on the trail. Also enjoyed browsing your website. Helpful on the Fenian Raids. Also enjoyed searching through the nominal role book. As a former Reservist, I see that some things never change. Lots of coming and going, missed parades, non-effectives etc. Also some real stalwarts evident too.


We welcome your comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

"In Pace Paratus – In Peace Prepared"

%d bloggers like this: