Captain Edgar Henry Redway was born c 1869 in Exmouth, Devon, England, son of William Edwin Redway and Ellen Rose Hodge. In 1884 his father, a maritime architect, moved his family to Toronto, Ontario.
On 1 October 1902 he married Ethel F. Kingsnorth (died 1946.) They had a son Edwin K. (Ted) and a daughter Bertha O.
- by 1892 – Private
- April 14, 1897 – Promoted Corporal
- 1898 – Promoted Sergeant
- October 20, 1899 – enlisted with Special Service Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment to serve in South Africa (You can read a transcription of his South African diary here.)
- November 5, 1900 – discharged from RCR and returned to service with The Queen’s Own Rifles
- April 30, 1902 – Promoted 2nd Lieutenant
- 1904 – Promoted Lieutenant
- October 24, 1906 – Promoted Captain
- 1908 – Applied for land grant for South African War service (see below)
- 1910 – Still a Captain of G Company