Sergeant Major W. A. Porter joined the regiment in or before 1889 and was promoted to corporal 23 Sep 1891. He earned a three year good service badge in 1892 and was promoted to Sergeant in 1896. He is first listed as Sergeant Major on the nominal role for annual camp in 1898-99. At the turn of the century he was in a photo of the Sergeants’ Mess and was listed as Mess President. He is last mentioned on the nominal roll for annual camp in 1903-04 as Sergeant Major.
His death, of a protracted illness, was reported in the Globe February 6 1941. He was said to have been a great sportsman; he was a heavyweight boxer and footballer in his youth and was Honourary President of the Balmy Beach Football Club at the time of his death.
- Born: 1872, Toronto
- Former Svc:
- Religion: Anglican
- Trade: Plumbing supply business
- Date of attestation: 1889 (or before)
Timeline of service:
- 1889 or before, joined regiment;
- 1891 15 Apr, Private Porter granted Corporal’s certificate;
- 1891 23 Sep, Private Porter promoted to Corporal;
- 1892 25 Jan, Corporal Porter granted Sergeant’s certificate;
- 1892 1 Nov, Corporal Porter awarded 3 year Good Service badge;
- 1896 29 May, promoted to Sergeant, Regimental Orders;
- 1897 22 Jan, 1 year good service badge, Regimental Orders;
- 1898-99, listed as Sergeant Major, Nominal Roll D Company Annual Drill;
- 1900, listed as Sergeant Major and President of the Mess Committee in photo of Sergeants’ Mess;
- 1902-03, listed as Sergeant Major, Nominal Roll Staff Sergeants Annual Drill;
- 1903-04, listed as Sergeant Major, Nominal Roll Staff Sergeants Annual Drill.
- Hospital Sergeant T. A. E World,
- Sergeant J. D. Falconbridge,
- Colour Sergeant * * Angus,
- Sergeant G. Brown?
- Sergeant Major W. A. Porter, Pres,
- Sergeant George Cooper, Vice pres,
- Pay Sergeant W. Ashall,
- Colour Sergeant E. [Ernest] Wingate.