Captain Frederick Ross Medland was born March 23, 1885, son of Major W. A. (also of the Queen’s Own Rifles) and Jane Ann Reed, of Toronto, Ontario. He was a member of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club.
His nephew Major Richard Dillon Medland, DSO, CD served with The Queen’s Own Rifles during the Second World War and in Korea and cold war Germany with the Royal Canadian Regiment.
- March 30, 1908 – Enlisted as rifleman in the Machine Gun Detachment
- September 30, 1909 – Appointed Provisional Lieutenant
- 1910 – Proceeded to England with QOR for maneuvers
- October 1, 1914 – Promoted Captain
- Seconded for service with Canadian Expeditionary Force in the 3rd Battalion and proceeded overseas
- Served in France with 3rd Battalion
- April 23, 1915 – Killed in action
He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Menin Gate: Panel 18 – 24 – 26 – 30.