Captain Frederick Ross Medland was born March 23, 1885, son of Major W. A. (also of the Queen’s Own Rifles) and Jane Ann Reed, of Toronto, Ontario. He was a member of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club.
- March 30, 1908 – Enlisted as rifleman in the Machine Gun Detachment
- September 30, 1909 – Appointed Provisional Lieutenant
- 1910 – Proceeded to England with QOR for maneuvers
- October 1, 1914 – Promoted Captain
- Seconded for service with Canadian Expeditionary Force in the 3rd Battalion and proceeded overseas
- Served in France with 3rd Battalion
- April 23, 1915 – Killed in action
He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Menin Gate: Panel 18 – 24 – 26 – 30.