Second Lieutenant Archibald Reid McKinlay was born on 15 December 1848, in Charleston County, South Carolina, son of Archibald McKinlay and Sarah Ann. He moved with his family to Toronto when he was 8 and later attended Upper Canada College.
He served for at least 6 years as a soldier and officer in The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada and likely at the Battle of Ridgeway.
In civilian life he was a manufacturer, lumber merchant, and prominent Mason. In 1873 he married Louisa Jane Thayer and had several children.
He died in 1903 of diabetes and is buried at St James Cemetery in Toronto.
- 1866 – Private (No. 4 Company on 7th June after Ridgeway, and at Thorold in August )
- By 1868 – Lance Corporal [Paylists]
- By 1869 – Corporal [Paylists]
- By 1870 – Sergeant [Paylists]
- By 24 May 1870 – Colour Sergeant [Paylists]
- 4 Aug 1871 – Commissioned as an Ensign [Chambers History]
- 12 Apr 1872 – Retired as a Second Lieutenant [Chambers History]