He was still a student when he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1916 after having served one year in the Canadian Officer Training Corps (COTC).
He died in Vancouver January 20, 1966.
- May 1916 – Enlisted as a private in the 116th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force,
- June 1916 – Proceeded overseas with that unit as an acting corporal
- November 1916 – Granted a commission in the CEF with the rank of Lieutenant
- April 1917 – Proceeded as a reinforcement officer to France to the 7th Battalion, CEF
- Served with the 7th Battalion in the field until the Armistice, returning to Canada with the same
- April 1919 – Demobilized
- Awarded the Military Cross
- March 15, 1922 – Appointed as a Lieutenant in the Queen’s Own Rifles and posted to “A” Company, 2nd Battalion
- January 7, 1927 – Promoted to the rank of Captain and appointed 2nd in command of “B” Company, 2nd Battalion
- September 19, 1929 – Appointed Officer Commanding “B” Company, 2nd Battalion
- November 19, 1929 – Transferred to the Reserve of Officers