Gerald was born in Sudbury, Ontario on November 21, 1942. On December 2, 1959, he applied to join the Canadian Army. On January 30, 1960, he was transported to the 6th personal Depot in Toronto, ON for testing, physical and acceptance. His selection was the Queen’s Own Rifles. On March 17, he was again transported back to the Queen’s Own Rifles Training Depot in Currie Barracks, Calgary, AB. Gerald graduated from there on August 19, 1960 and was transferred to C Company (C-Coy) of the 1st Battalion of the Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada as a Rifleman, again in Currie Barracks in Calgary. On November 11, 1960, the 1st Battalion of Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada was off to Fort McLeod – Delinghophen, West Germany to replace 2nd Battalion Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada as part of the Canadian Amy NATO FORCE Brigade and he stayed there until March 10, 1963. He returned to Toronto, 6 Personal Depot to get his discharge on March 17, 1963 at the rank of Rifleman Group 2 Machine Gunner. He served ft)r 3 years and 8 months in Calgary and 28 months in West Gemany. Gerald joined the Thessalon Legion Branch 182 in 1965.
Content from RCL Magazine