The Right Honourable Sir John Morison Gibson was born in 1842 in Toronto, the son of Scottish immigrants, and was educated at the University of Toronto. He joined The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada in 1860 and was a Wimbledon Rifle Challenge marksman in 1874. In 1866, he was a Lieutenant in the 13th Battalion, and fought at the Battle of Ridgeway, defending against the Fenian Raids. He eventually rose to become Commanding Officer of the 13th Battalion from 1886 to 1895.
He became a company director and developed a keen interest in music and art. He was a Member of the Legislature from 1879 to 1905 and held the posts of Provincial Secretary, Commissioner of Crown Lands and Attorney General.
Gibson was appointed Lieutenant Governor of Ontario in 1908, and was knighted in 1912. During his mandate, the new Government House in Chorley Park (now demolished) was completed. Gibson served as Lieutenant Governor until 1914.
He was active in many charities, especially the Red Cross and child welfare. He died in Hamilton in 1929.