3rd Bn War Diaries 1915

This page is a result of our War Diary Transcription Project. While the transcriptions have been completed, we continue to add links and photographs.

Friday, January 01, 1915

Entry: New Years Day observed as a holiday. Hon Capt G.L. INGLES Chaplain of this  Battalion and recently attached to No 1. Gen Hospital BULFORD died last evening of cerebro-spinal-meningitis. contracted while doing his duty visiting men sick with this very contagious disease. A dinner was provided for the N.C.O. and men by the City Council of Toronto. Weather windy and severe rainstorm lasting all day.

Saturday, January 02, 1915

Entry: Duty Battalion. Weather fine until evening when rain commenced and continued all night

Sunday, January 03, 1915

Entry: Sunday. Heavy rain all day, quite cold. The late Rev G.L. INGLES was buried with military honours at Bulford at 2.00 p.m. The C.O. and all available Officers attended. Firing party and escort under Capt Allan. Divine Service at 9.00 a.m. The special service of intercession used on this occasion and Holy Communion observed. The Canteen was closed and all men confined to the lines.

Monday, January 04, 1915

Entry: Weather fine. Brigade training 1st day. Practised an attack of a position, marched out at 9.00 a.m.and returned at 4.00 p.m.

Tuesday, January 05, 1915

Entry: Weather dull and cold inclining to rain. Brigade training-defense of a position
including siting of trenches. Marched out at 9.00 a.m. returned at 4.00p.m

Wednesday, January 06, 1915

Entry: Fine nad cold. Brigade training. Battalion defended a position on RUSHALL DOWN against the 1st, 2nd and 4th Battalions. Duty Battalion to day.

Thursday, January 07, 1915

Entry:  Rained all night until noon. Officers and sergeants attended lecture by MAJOR GENERAL MCCRACKEN in the morning. Moved camp of N.C.O and men in the afternoon. Shipment of tobacco the gift of Colonel Gooderham of Toronto arrived to-day.

Friday, January 08, 1915

Entry: Rained all night. Brigade training. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Battalions attacked a position held by the 1st Battalion at KEEPERS FARM. Lecture by MAJOR GENERAL MCCRACKEN attended by all Officers at 4.30 p.m.

Saturday, January 09, 1915

Entry: Fine and cold. Brigade training. Practised by day for a night advance. Returned to camp at 12.30. Half holiday in the afternoon.

Sunday, January 10, 1915

Entry: Fine and cold in the morning. Rained all the afternoon and night. Divine Service Parade at 9.45 a.m. Duty Battalion to-day.

Monday, January 11, 1915

Entry: Fine and cold. Battalion under Major Kirkpatrick out for a route march to WOODFORD returned at 1.00 p.m. Bayonet fighting instruction for N.C.O’s in the afternoon.

Tuesday, January 12, 1915

Entry: Fine and cold. Instruction in cooking by Sergt. Cook commenced to-day- A. Coy instructed. Entrenching by C & F Coys. Remaining companies went for a route march under Major Kirkpatrick.

Wednesday, January 13, 1915

Entry:  Rain during night and morning. Cooking instruction given to H. Coy. Entrenching by A & E Coys. and remaining Coys practised charger loading.

Thursday, January 14, 1915

Entry: Fair. Lines inspected by LT GENERAL ALDERSON who, expressed his satisfaction with conditions and extended congratulations to the C.O. Two Coys engaged in entrenching, One Company instructed in Cooking. Remaining Companies practised in Fire Control. Officers attended Lecture on Billetting by MAJOR BROWN H.Q. STAFF.

Friday, January 15, 1915

Entry:  Fair. Two Companies engaged in entrenching. One Company instructed in Field Cooking. Remaining Companies instructed in protection and Battalion in attack. Lecture by MAJOR MITCHELL H.Q. STAFF on the GERMAN ARMY.

Saturday, January 16, 1915

Entry:  Heavy gale all night from N.W. blew down Orderly Room, Officers Mess, Sergeants Mess. Quartermaster’s stores and several tents in the men’s lines. During morning two companies cleaned up camp and pitched marquees. Remainder Of the Battalion filled in trenches. Saturday half-holiday.

Sunday, January 17, 1915

Entry:  Fair. Divine Service Parade to Y.M.C.A Tent.

Monday, January 18, 1915

Entry: Weather cloudy and cold. Duty Battalion. Remaining Companies practised Battalion Attack and Defense. Medical inspection in the afternoon. Three Companies exercised in night entrenching.

Tuesday, January 19, 1915

Entry:  Fair and cool. Brigade excercise. Battalion with transport marched out at 8.15 a.m. to CHITTERNE DOWN where a defensive position was taken up to resist advance of the remainder of the Brigade. Battalion returned to camp at 5.30 p.m.

Wednesday, January 20, 1915

Entry:  Showery. Company training. Three Companies exercised in hight entrenching.

Thursday, January 21, 1915

Entry:  Weather cold and showery. Brigade inspected in field work by LT GENERAL ALDERSON. 3rd Bn. at first formed advance guard and subsequently formed rear guard to Brigade retiring from WINTERBOURNE STOKE to ROLLESTONE CAMP.

Friday, January 22, 1915

Entry:  Snow about three inches on the ground in the morning. Companies practised charger loading and then general kit- inspection.

Saturday, January 23, 1915

Entry:  Dull, and cold. Trenches filled in by Battalion. Duty Battalion to- day.

Sunday, January 24, 1915

Entry:  Sunday dull and cold. Divine Service for various denominations sepa rately.

Monday, January 25, 1915

Entry: Fine and clear. Rearguard action practised near WINTERBOURNE STOKE and BRITISH VILLAGE. Afternoon devoted to reorganization on 4 Company basis.

Tuesday, January 26, 1915

Entry:  Clear and cold. Duty Battalion. Men not employed marched to LARK HILL to witness Artillery firing.

Wednesday, January 27, 1915

Entry: Fine and cool. Battalion completed reorganization on 4 Company basis. Casuals commenced musketry.

Thursday, January 28, 1915

Entry:  Fair and mild. Unemployed men taken to witness 4.7 gun practice. Casuals continued musketry in afternoon.

Friday, January 29, 1915

Entry: Cloudy and cool. Casuals completed musketry in morning and remainder of the Battalion practised Rapid Fire in the afternoon. Men unfit for service -65 in number sent to TIDWORTH To Base Battalion.

Saturday, January 30, 1915

Entry: Fair and mild. Company training. One Company cooking instruction. One Company fire control and remaining details continued training under O.C’S units. Duty Battalion. Officers for 4 Company Organization published in Battalion
Orders. (Appendix A.)



Lieut Colonel R. Rennie, MVO: CO
Major G.M. Higinbotham MVO: Senior Major [Died March 11, 1915; Served in NW Rebellion]
Major A.J.E. Kirkpatrick: Junior Major [Taken prisoner after Battle of St Julien in  April 1915; UCC]
Capt. J.H. Lyne-Evans: Adjutant
Lieut. M.S. Gooderham: Asst. Adjt
Capt. J. Hutcheson: Quartermaster
Capt W. [B.] Crowther: Trans. Officer [Died May 3, 1917; UCC]
Capt D.H.C. Mason: Sig. Officer
Lieut. M.D. MacDonald: Mach. Gun Officer [Died April 24, 1915; England 1910 Contingent]
Lieut. R.N.C. Davis: Base Details [Died May 24, 1915]

Capt W.D. Allan: C.O. A. Coy [Became Commanding Officer after Rennie. Died October 1, 1916]
Capt L.S. Morrison: A. Coy
Lieut F.R. Medland: ”    ”  [Died April 24, 1915]
Lieut H.R. Alley:       ”    ”
Lieut [W.H.] V. Vandersmissen: ”    ”  [Died June 13, 1916]

Capt G. Muntz: C.O. B Coy. [Died April 30, 1915]
Capt F.O. Tidy: B. Coy.
Lieut J.B. Rogers: ”    ”  [Became Commanding Officer after Allan]
Lieut C.A. MacCormack: ”    ”
Lieut T.W. Anderson: ”    ”
Lieut D.G. Hagarty: ”    ”

Capt J.E.L. Streight.: C.O. C. Coy.
Capt B.L. Johnston: C. Coy.
Lieut A.D. Kirkpatrick: ”    ”  [Died April 23, 1915; UCC]
Lieut G.A. Smith: ”    ”
Lieut W.D.P. Jarvis: ”    ”  [Died April 24, 1915]
Lieut A. M. Sanderson: ”    ” [May have died Oct 1, 1918 in RAF?]

Capt. C.E.H. Morton : C.O. D. Coy.
Capt. G.C. Ryerson : D. Coy.  [Died April 23, 1915; UCC]
Lieut J.B. Neale : “ “
Lieut D.G. Greene : “ “ [Taken prison after Battle of St Julien, April 1915; UCC]
Lieut G.D. Allan : “ “
Lieut J.K. Cronyn : “ “

Sunday, January 31, 1915

Entry: Snow and rain early. Fine and bright in the afternoon. Divine Service at 9.00 a.m. conducted by Rev Major Beattie, Chaplain 1st Brigade. Draft of men from Base Training Depot to complete establishment arrived to-day.

Monday, February 01, 1915

Location: BUSTARD
Entry:  9 a.m. Coy drill one Coy. for field cooking
1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Rapid fire practices at the ranges.
5 p.m. Lecture to officers & Sanitary details on Sanitation by Lt Col Nasmith A.M.O. Capt Morton left for SOUTHAMPTON to act as Embarkation offr. Pte Trull of Stretcher Bearers removed to hospital suffering from spinal meningitits – rest of stretcher bearers segregated. Weather warm & sunny in the morning cloudy in afternoon with showers at night.

Tuesday, February 02, 1915

Location: BUSTARD
Entry:  8.30 a.m. Muster Parade for issue of Active Service Pay Books
1 p.m. Parade for Musketry cancelled owing to rain. Rev. Cary Ward of London dined with offrs. Weather – Heavy rains during afternoon & evening.

Wednesday, February 03, 1915

Location: BUSTARD
Entry: Rapid fire practice during morning – Kit inspection during afternoon – 3 new Colt Guns arrived – Weather overcast with wind.

Thursday, February 04, 1915

Location: BUSTARD
Entry:  Bn. left at 9.30 a.m. for KNIGHTON DOWN for review of the division by H.M. the King who arrived by train over the new railway at 11 a.m. – After the inspection troops marched past in double column of fours subsequently lining the railway – Lieut Cameron left for Chelsea Bks.

Friday, February 05, 1915

Location: BUSTARD
Entry: Junior Majors, Signalling Officer + Transport Offr. declared surplus to establishment. Following changes in command rendered necessary + made by C.O. Major Kirkpatrick to command B Coy. Capt Muntz 2nd i/cnd B Coy vice Capt Tidy transferred to Base Depot Bn. Capt Mason to B Coy vice Lt. Allan to Base Depot Bn. Capt Crowther to ‘D’ Coy vice Lt. Sanderson. Heavy rain during afternoon.

Saturday, February 06, 1915

Location: BUSTARD
Entry:  Heavy rain during night & early morning – Training

Sunday, February 07, 1915

Location: BUSTARD
Entry:  Heavy rain. Bn. prepared to leave for the front.

Monday, February 08, 1915

Location: BUSTARD
Entry:  Rt. hlf Bn. left Camp 1.50 a.m. followed by left 1 hour later. Bn left similarly in trains from AMESBURY

Tuesday, February 09, 1915

Location: En route
Entry:  En route sailed from AVONMOUTH at 3 am

Wednesday, February 10, 1915

Location: En route
Entry:  En route

Thursday, February 11, 1915

Location: En route
Entry:  En route

Friday, February 12, 1915

Location: En route
Entry:  En route

Saturday, February 13, 1915

Entry: Enroute

Sunday, February 14, 1915

Location: En route
Entry:  In billets at 630 p.m. rained all day. MERRIS.

Monday, February 15, 1915

Entry: Rainy with fine intervals. H[illegible – looks like horse or horne] 5773 died of pneumonia – settled down + got organized in billets – (on this occasion the Bde Staff Capt did all the Rgtl Office work)

Tuesday, February 16, 1915

Entry: Fine – Bn. rested –

Wednesday, February 17, 1915

Entry: Rain & high wind. The Bn. left billets at 7.30 am + reached ARMENTIÈRES at 2.00 pm: Arrangement for instruction of the Bn. in the trenches were made during the afternoon + the Bn was billeted.

Thursday, February 18, 1915

Entry:  Some slight showers – Bn. was instructed during the day in entrenching & bomb throwing. – a general tour of inspection was organized as well. Adjutant sent to trenches of Sherwood Foresters in evening. 2 platoons to each Coy of the Bn went to the trenches A Coy with E Yorks
B ” ” |
| Sherwood Foresters
C ” ” |
D “ “ Westminsters

Friday, February 19, 1915

Entry:  Bn. attached to 18th Bde for instruction – weather fine – platoons in trenches inspected by Brig Gen CONGREVE V.C.

Saturday, February 20, 1915

Entry:  “ “ “ “ “ “ “ “ – weather Showery – Platoons not in trenches were inspected by MAJ. GEN. CONGREVE V.C. on the GRANDE PLACE.

Sunday, February 21, 1915

Entry:  Weather fine with a mist in the early morning – Bn. attd 18th I.B. for instruction.

Appendix: On 21st Bn had 2 Casualties SERGT HOLLAND wounded; Bgr SANDERS accidentally shot himself in the foot

Monday, February 22, 1915

Entry: Bn attd 18th IB for instruction – Major HIGINBOTHAM was removed sick to hospital – Weather misty & mild

Tuesday, February 23, 1915

Entry:  Bn. returned to former billets at MERRIS

Wednesday, February 24, 1915

Entry:  Routine inspections held in various Coy. billets – Coy Officers met C.O. with 2 N.C.O’s per Coy. in full marching order to standardize the marching order of the Bn. in accordance with remarks made by G.O.C III Corps. Weather
cold & dull – Snow flurries in the evening

Thursday, February 25, 1915

Entry:  Coy. route marches – weather fine –

Friday, February 26, 1915

Entry:  Weather fine – Coy route marches

Saturday, February 27, 1915

Entry:  C.O. Adjt & 2 Offr per Coy. proceeded to SAILLY for instructions [illegible] the relief of VII Division by 1st CANADIAN Div: Cloudy & cold with wind.

Sunday, February 28, 1915

Entry: Bn. moved from MERRIS to BAC ST MAUR arriving at 12.45 p.m. & went into billets CAPT HAYWOOD A.M.C. reported for duty – OCs Coys reported for duty in trenches they were to take over. G.O.C. 1st CAN. DIV addressed Bn. in billets – weather fine –

Monday, March 01, 1915

Entry: Bn left BAC ST MAUR at dusk & moved to billets at LA TOULETTE where they took up the duty of Bde Reserve – Fine in the morning – Heavy gales & snow in afternoon.

Tuesday, March 02, 1915

Entry: Bn in Billets at LA TOULETTE (Bde Reserve) weather fine.

Wednesday, March 03, 1915

Entry: Bn at LA TOULETTE in Bde reserve – 2 Coys practised Bomb throwing. Weather showery –

Thursday, March 04, 1915

Entry:  Dull showery day Bn at LA TOULETTE in BDE reserve

Friday, March 05, 1915

Entry: Dull windy day. Platoons of two Coys. went to bomb throwing practice in the morning – Bn relieved 1st Bn in trenches commencing at 6.30 p.m. relief  completed by 11.30 p.m. –

Saturday, March 06, 1915

Entry: 9.40 a.m. Dull & raining – Enemy put 23 Shrapnel into right & centre section Killing 2 men in centre.

Sunday, March 07, 1915

Entry: Damp, dull ,morning – Quiet day in so far as the infantry was concerned –
4.30 pm Our artillery opened on the enemy battery in rear of GERMAN trenches. C.O. + 2 i/c went round the trenches about 11.00 pm Very dark night.

Monday, March 08, 1915

Entry:  Fine cold day. intermittent artillery duel. 18pr on our side, something similar on the enemy’s
3.30 p.m. Enemy put 5 shells into Left SECTION knocking down 5 ft of parapet.
3.50 p.m. Enemy put about a dozen shells (field gun) into SUPPORT FARM damage nil. – Remainder of day quiet – Frosty cold night

Tuesday, March 09, 1915

Entry: Fine frosty morning. normal artillery fire + sniping all day – A few shells fell in the vicinity of SUPPORT FARM.
6.30 p.m. Bn was relieved by 1st Bn relief completed 9.35 p.m.

Wednesday, March 10, 1915

Entry:  Bn in DIV RESERVE in billets. Weather cold & dull
7.30 a.m. Bombardment for attack by 8th DIV. on NEUVE CHAPELLE Started
8.30 Attack started + ended successfully
2.00 p.m. Further advance on AUBERS RIDGE ordered.
8.40 p.m. Message recd: 7th DIV attack in direction of RUE D’ENFER was progressing satisfactorily at 5.30 p.m. – GERMANS were retreating in groups in front of 22nd Bde
10.05 p.m. Message of congratulation from F.M. CinC to GOC + all ranks 1st Army on operations – Stating that enemy was completely surprised. Weather dull

Thursday, March 11, 1915

Entry: 4.00 p.m. Bn. left billets at 4.00 p.m. to make room for N. MIDLAND DIV. who marched in – Bn went into fresh billets at RUE DELPIERRE. Weather fine.

Friday, March 12, 1915

Entry:  1.15 p.m. Message recd. “4th Corps reports that Bombing party of 1st BEDFORDS attacked enemy’s trench NE of NEUVE CHAPELLE + captured
40 prisoners”
4.20 p.m. Message recd. “20th INF BDE have captured the line of road leading NW from MOULIN DU PIETRE + are pushing on towards RUE D’ENFER – Reported capture of several hundred prisoners + State GERMANS are still surrendering. The CAN DIV is to be prepared to act offensively in connection with this movement” Weather fine –

Saturday, March 13, 1915

Entry: Day fine – heavy bombardment by our artillery most of the day at intervals.
1.15 p.m. Recd. report “6th DIV reports bombing of enemy’s trenches by a platoon of 19th BDE – 17th BDE consolidated their position – they were heavily shelled + beat off an attack by enemy’s bomb throwers. Captured 3 prisoners only survivors of party of 20 caught by M.G. Another party successfully bombed enemy’s works on LILLE RY:
7.00 p.m. Bn. commenced to relieve the 1st BN sub sec 5 of trenches.

Sunday, March 14, 1915

Map Reference: Sub Sec 5
Entry: 9.20 p.m. Relief completed. 2 R.F. wounded in the process.
11.27 p.m. Burst of rapid fire from Enemy’s trenches immediately to the right
of sub sec 5.
12.15 a.m. Report from sec P that enemy fired on a patrol of the Bn. on our right. Fine day – Enemy quiet on our front – 3 other ranks wounded
5.10 p.m. Very heavy cannonade {illegible, crossed out} commenced in the direction of MESSINE. Enemy apparently nervous threw up abnormal quantities of star shells + employed search light [illegible] all night

Monday, March 15, 1915

Entry:  Fine morning 6.30 a.m. Patrols from 4th Bn passed along our rear looking for snipers – situation unchanged throughout the day + night.

Tuesday, March 16, 1915

Entry:  12.15 a.m. Outburst of rapid fire from some distance to our right – GERMANS made great display of lights – fire died away in about 5 mins. Sounded as if it might be in the next DIV.
5.15 a.m. Enemy opened heavy fire (rifle + MG) on our trenches – we did not reply – soon died down
3.45 p.m. Enemy fired 10 shells sub sec P 4 hit the parapet no Casualties. Quiet for rest of day – except for about 6 rounds from Enemy 6” gun after dark about 7.30 p.m. – gun line 70° M from SUPPORT FM Fine day – no Casualties.

Wednesday, March 17, 1915

Entry: Very fine day – Enemy shelled trenches from 10 am – 11 am.
10.00-11.00 a.m. beyond slight damage to parapet nothing achieved.
3.30 p.m. Two GERMAN aeroplanes flew over our lines
7.00 p.m. Trench relieving began by 1st Bn.
9.30 p.m. Relief completed (delay caused by a new Coy. coming into Support) Casualties 1 Killed (RF) 9834 Pte Theobald J. Coy.

Thursday, March 18, 1915

Entry:  Bn. in Bde Reserve Bathing + cleaning up – dull [illegible] – MAJOR ANDERSON Joined also reinforcement of 4 men

Friday, March 19, 1915

Entry: Bn in Bde Reserve – Snowed – When not snowing very windy & cold. Working party of 4 offrs. + 100 men sent down to trenches to work under the C.E. Bathing continued

Saturday, March 20, 1915

Entry:  Bn in Bde Reserve – cold & dull – Bn ordered to stand to at.
9.00 p.m. for practice – Orders received to relieve 1st Bn. tomorrow – Working party 100 strong & 4 offrs went to trenches under C.E.

Sunday, March 21, 1915

Entry:  Bn in Bde Reserve – fine day – several æorplanes seen –Bn started to relieve the 1st BN. in No5 SUB SEC at 7.15 p.m. Relief completed by 9.30 p.m. Situation quiet till midnight no Casualties –

Monday, March 22, 1915

Entry:  Fine day – no change in situation G.O.C. 1st CAN DIV came round sub sec 5 [illegible] inspected everything + expressed satisfaction with the state of things – During the night Enemy transport was heard moving from East to West in front of sec P. Two men wounded – 1 killed – During afternoon it was possible to visit sec S in daylight as Enemy was not doing any shooting.

Tuesday, March 23, 1915

Entry:  Fine day – MAJOR ANDERSON with an observer spent the day in a hole in the cabbage patch opposite SEC S + did [illegible – word looks like ‘execution] amongst snipers + got a good lot of information – Sec P had 10 or 12 shells dropped about 50 or 100 yds in rear of it about 10.45 am. Our artillery got some good registration in on trenches opposite the SUB SECTION M.G. in house was located + reported to Artillery. Rain in evening No casualties –

Wednesday, March 24, 1915

Entry:  Dull day with showers – nothing of note occurred in the SUB SEC. O.C. + representative offrs of 2/W YORKs came in + were shown over the SUB SEC.

Thursday, March 25, 1915

Entry:  Dull day no rain – O.C. C.F.A. reported a sniper in the Straw pile near Y FARM Offrs patrol went to investigate + found several places that might have been used for sniping from, but no signs of snipers – Sec P had 12 shells but they did no damage. BN was relieved by 2/ W YORKs relief completed by 9 30 p.m. Bn marched to NEUF BERQUIN + went into billets as ARMY RESERVE –  reinforcement of 25 men reported.

Friday, March 26, 1915

Entry: Fine day – in billets at NEUF BERQUIN – Bathing parades + Coys. exercised in P.T. musketry + bayonet practice

Saturday, March 27, 1915

Entry: Fine day – Coys. exercised in route marching – P.T. + bayonet practice –

Sunday, March 28, 1915

Entry: Fine day – Church Parade for A + B at 9 00 am + CD 9.45 a.m. Coys route marched in the afternoon

Monday, March 29, 1915

Entry: Fine day – Coys route marched – practiced with entrenching implement + tried various methods of overcoming wire –

Tuesday, March 30, 1915

Entry:  Fine day – Coy. practiced hasty entrenching with implement + further experiments were carried out with wire – 1st Bn lost a man bomb throwing –

Wednesday, March 31, 1915

Entry: Find day – cold wind – Bn practiced the attack + the best methods of coping with Enemy’s wire – Working party 450 strong dispatched to work under the  [illegible] of the DIVnl C.C.E.

Thursday, April 01, 1915

Entry:  Fine day – practiced various forms of trench digging + the attack.

Friday, April 02, 1915

Entry: Fine day – Bn practiced the attack. Gen. Sir D Haig visited the area – The Bn sent a football XI against C Sqdn. XII Royal Lancers – beaten about 8 – Love. 1st time Bn has had a team in the field. Divine service was held.

Saturday, April 03, 1915

Entry: Dull rainy day – Bn practiced the art of leaving the trench simultaneously for the purpose of attacking. Trenches already dug were filled in –

Sunday, April 04, 1915

Entry:  Dull wet day – Divine Service for all denominations in the morning.

Monday, April 05, 1915

Entry: Wet day – finished off clearing up trenches + wire + prepared for move –

Tuesday, April 06, 1915

Entry: Fine day marched at 7.30 a.m. to WINNEZEELE 15 miles – settled down into new billets – Pallets very scattered – Arrived about 2.00 p.m. Rainy night

Wednesday, April 07, 1915

Entry:  Variable day – windy – Coys did P.T. musketry Bayonet practice + Route marching –

Thursday, April 08, 1915

Entry:  Dull day Companies did P.T. musketry Bayonet practice + route marching.

Friday, April 09, 1915

Entry: Fine day – Bn was inspected – by G.O.C. Div who expressed himself as quite satisfied with it – Snow flurry after inspection of considerable violence but short duration – thunder, lightening.

Saturday, April 10, 1915

Entry:  Fine day – received a reinforcement of 14 men. Coys – Coys paraded under Coy arrangements.

Sunday, April 11, 1915

Entry: Fine day. Church parade 9.30 a.m.

Monday, April 12, 1915

Entry: Bde inspected by G.O.C. II Army who addressed Officers + NCOs afterwards, expressing his satisfaction at the appearance of the Bde + welcoming the Div to his command – He also indicated the nature of our next work – His address made a great impression on all ranks.

Tuesday, April 13, 1915

Entry: Dull rainy morning – Coys did route marching [illegible]

Wednesday, April 14, 1915

Entry: Fine day. Bn at route marching – fire control – indication of targets. Major ANDERSON left on Brigade business with a small detachment

Thursday, April 15, 1915

Entry: Fine day – Bn do Brigadier Genl. went round Coys at work + Bn visited by representative of High Commisionerfor Canada. Advc party of NORTHUMBRIAN DIV arrived

Friday, April 16, 1915

Entry: Fine day but dull + sultry – B. Genl. again saw Coys at work.

Saturday, April 17, 1915

Entry: Fine day – ordered to be prepared to move tomorrow –

Sunday, April 18, 1915

Entry: Fine day – moved from WINNEZEELE to the outskirts to of POPERINGHE + went into new billets – Bn crossed the Belgian border at 10-25 a.m.

Monday, April 19, 1915

Entry: Fine day. Bn. in billets – Regiment of Spalui Auxilliaire passed through.

Tuesday, April 20, 1915

Entry: Bn warned to move at 2-40 p.m. but orders were subsequently cancelled.

Wednesday, April 21, 1915

Entry: Bn moved to VLAMERTINGHE arriving about 10 a.m. Orders received to be ready to move at short notice.

Thursday, April 22, 1915

Entry: Bn still in billets.. Orders to be ready to move at short notice cancelled. Training +general routine carried on at noon – A.P.M. took over 17 men undergoing F.P. No 1. Fine day.

Friday, April 23, 1915

Map Reference: C.22.B.
Entry: 115 A.M. Arrived and dug in for the night. A + B Coys on roadside and C. and D. Coy’s in fields – 100 yds. in rear to South. At about this hour a hostile shell exploded in our line and the following casualties resulted. Killed Lieut. M.D. MacDonald. No 10191. Sergt. E.H. MULLOY. No 9175. Pte. D[eric]. Broughall No 10205, LCorpl. J. R.BINKLEY. No 10009. Pte. E. M. Bickerstaff.  Wounded. —— No 9052. Sergt. A. S. HOUSTON. No 9054. Sergt. C. J. FOX. No 9281. Corpl W.B. TOWNSEND.

4 a.m. Order by telephone from O.C. 3rd Bde to despatch in haste, 2 Coys to C. 11. with orders to hold a line from left of ST JULIEN to WOOD. MAJ KIRKPATRICK moved out at once with “C” Coy under Capt. STREIGHT and D Coy under Capt.
MORTON. At this hour when moving out of trenches Capt. G. S. RYERSON, was killed and No 9946. Pte. C. F. Payne was wounded and died later in the day [Veterans Affairs records his death on May 2, 1915]

5. A.M. Order from Bde. to be in readiness to support an attack by other units. 2nd Bn. of “The Buffs” came up at this hour and proceeded to attack on left of 14th. Bn. detachment, at this time holding trenches 400 yds. N. of position occupied by A and B Coys.

830 AM. Order received to move 2 Coys. A + B and M.G. Det. to G.H.Q. line trenches to left of 3rd Bde. Hqrs. This movement was completed under fire with one minor casualty. Message received from Maj. KIRKPATRICK, announcing his arrival and reporting losses on the way forward.

925 A.M. Message to Maj. KIRKPATRICK 3rd Bde. reports AAA. Germans reported reinforcing N. end of wood, C.10.d.AAA. Our Artillery is opening on them. AAA. Take all steps

940 a.m. Telephone communication established with MAJOR KIRKPATRICK, who asked for ammunition.

1005 a.m. A party of 30 men, carrying 15000 rounds, went forward, and 1230 p.m, another party, with 12000 rounds, proceeded to his trenches. All this ammunition was acknowledged in a message, dated 530 p.m., in which he reported large numbers of the enemy in the wood on his left. During the night 23/24, tools and rations were sent up as required, and wounded evacuated.

510 p.m. Advance of British troops on our left proceeding, and covered by a heavy artillery bombardment. This advance was observed from trenches occupied by ‘A’ and ‘B’ Companies, and Brigade Headquarters. The advance was made in a determined manner, up a gradual slope, in face of a heavy fire from the enemy in control of the ridge.

Saturday, April 24, 1915

Entry: Telephone communication with MAJOR KIRKPATRICK in good order.
430 a.m. Enemy’s attack opened with a heavy bombardment from E. and N.E. of 3rd Brigade Headquarters: Reports from 16th Bn. and 10th Bn on the right, and considerably to the E. of MAJOR KIRKPATRICK’S position, to the effect “that Gas bombs were driving them out.” Orders from Brigade verbally were telephoned to MAJOR KIRKPATRICK “to conform to movements of 2nd Bn, which was
required to hold the line”

6:00 a.m. Enemy shelling very persistently. Information received to the effect that GENL CURRIE had to fall back, owing to reduction in his fighting strength, the result of losses. Preparations made to hold G. H. Q. line at all costs. All batmen and H. Q. people ordered to trenches. CAPT. MASON took over command of all 3rd Bn. men, and occupied trench S. of Brigade Headquarters. Strengthening of trench, etc, rushed forward. Telephone line cut by shells, apparently.

845 a.m. Orders from Brigade to send 100 men and 2 Officers to reinforce COL. LOMIS on FORTUIN ROAD, S.E. of ST. JULIEN. Party marched off in small bodies, under CAPT. MORRISON and LIEUT. CURRY, and reached a position in C.12.c.

915 a.m. Report received from MAJOR KIRKPATRICK, not dated, but, evidently sent about 730 a.m, to the effect “that LIEUT JARVIS, and several men had been killed.”

945 a.m. Message received from MAJOR KIRKPATRICK, dated 910 a. m. – “STREIGHT reports at 850 a.m. – A second body of enemy has been been trying to work over to right of my position, but again retired under our fire.”

1000 a.m. Message from 3rd Brigade transmitted to MAJOR KIRKPATRICK – “Two Battalions are coming up. One has already arrived. AAA You must hang on to your position. Reinforcements cannot be sent immediately.” The following messages were received later – Dated 1135 a.m. “We are holding on nicely. Every time enemy starts something he goes back before he comes close, but we have been lucky, as the enemy’s artillery has left us alone fairly well. 2nd Bn need ammunition for their machine gun. Dated 1230 p.m. “Germans attacking in considerable numbers on our right, moving from N. to S. on ST. JULIEN. Dated 1235 p.m. “I fear STREIGHT’S right flank will be turned. Enemy have secured all front trenches in ST. JULIEN. AAA We will drop back our right flank and hang on.”

100 p.m. On receipt of above message Brigade instructed the following message to be sent – “Do not lose touch with ST. JULIEN. AAA  Hang on. AAA A counter attack is being made on your right.”

203 p.m. The following message was ordered to be sent to MAJOR KIRKPATRICK –  “Retire on G.H.Q. line” This message was taken up by LCE. CORPL. GRAVELEY, under very heavy rifle and shell fire, and was delivered to MAJOR KIRKPATRICK personally. The retirement began. A few men of “C” Company, mostly wounded, reached the G.H.Q. line. No further report has been received from MAJOR KIRKPATRICK, as to the position of himself or his command. [Kirkpatrick and the remainder of C and D Companies were taken prisoner.] The party under CAPT. MORRISON divided, and 27 men, under LIEUT CURRY, retired with the 19th Bn. As to the remainder of the party, no report has been received.

330 p.m. Heavy rifle and machine gun fire from N.W., directed at trenches held by “A” Company, and G.H.Q. line to right of Brigade Headquarters. In the evening, reinforcements came up. A counter attack on ST. JULIEN was to be made in the morning. In meantime, all ranks to stand to, and trenches to be manned with every available rifle.

The Second Battle of Ypres, 22 April to 25 May 1915 Painted by Richard Jack from the Beaverbrook Collection of War Art
The Second Battle of Ypres, 22 April to 25 May 1915
Painted by Richard Jack
Beaverbrook Collection of War Art

Sunday, April 25, 1915

Entry: 450 a.m. Instructions issued for Units occupying G.H.Q. line to extend outside the wire due E. and W. AAA The 3rd Bn to cover 300 yards on right of 19th Bn. AAA General direction of Canadian line – from C. 16. 2 to ZANEBEEL in C. 18. c.
The position to be held by 3rd Bn was personally indicated and reconnoitred by C.O. and CAPT. MUNTZ. These instructions were cancelled when the counter attack by the British Brigade appeared to be succeeding. Heavy firing all day. Trenches and area surrounding Headquarters thoroughly bombarded with H.E. shells. When returning to his section of trench, after examining the proposed position for the Bn., when extended, CAPT. MUNTZ was seriously wounded. He was brought in by CAPT. J.H. LYNE-EVANS, and PTE. PERCY, assisted by PTE WILLIS, of Queen Victoria’s Rifles, and a N.C.O. of the Warwicks M.G. Det.

500 p.m. A heavy bombardment of the trenches, particularly the sections near Brigade Headquarters. Over 90 H.E. shells dropped in and near Headquarters, starting a fire which destroyed the Farm, and a considerable quantity of  ammunition. 3rd Brigade relieved by British Troops, but 3rd Bn were  to wait until other troops came up.

Monday, April 26, 1915

Entry: 430 a.m. – Again very heavy bombardment, becoming quieter at 730 a.m.

1030 a.m. to 1230 p.m. – Severe German bombardment.

130 p.m. – Artillery of Allies opened fire.

200 p.m. – Advance of troops over hill E. and W. of WIELTJE.

210 p.m. – Gas bombs exploding on left of enemy’s line, and fumes spreading over British lines. Message sent to all parts of 3rd Bn. lines to have wet handkerchiefs ready for use.

245 p.m. – A British Bn. moved forward on left of our lines, enemy having vacated advanced trenches.

330 p.m Artillery bombardment the heaviest yet experienced. One casualty reported from “B.” Company. All men instructed to keep under cover, and a sharp look-out for any advance by the enemy’s infantry, from the direction of the Farms in C. 16. a, b, and c., all of which were known to contain hostile forces.

420 p.m. An Officer of the Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders arranged to take over trenches, and relieve 3rd Bn. in the evening: This was done in time to enable the Bn. (less 1 Platoon) to cross the CANAL at 1130 p.m. and reach Billets at [crossed out] 145 a.m. VLAMERTINGHE, at 145 a.m., 26th ‘7 ?’ April.  One Platoon, under LIEUT. HAGERTY, reached Billets at 500 a.m., and the Bn reported to 1st Brigade for duty.

Tuesday, April 27, 1915

Entry: Bn, rested in Billets all day. At 6 p.m. the villiage was heavily shelled and transport had to be moved to farm in area A. 30. a.

11 p.m. Orders to march to open fields and bivouac behind Bde. Hqrs. H. 5. B.

Wednesday, April 28, 1915

Entry:  300 A.M. Bn. arrived at Bivouac and entrenched.

6. a.m. Bombardment commenced – many hostile H.E. shells dropping within 50 yds. of Bivouac.

2 p.m. A draft of 32 men and 4 officers ziz Lieut DAVIS Lieut. CAMERON. Lieut ALLEY and Lieut. HENDERSON from SHORNCLIFFE, reported for duty.

4 to 7 pm Violent shelling by enemy with H.E. shells.

730 pm. Bn. marched to area W. of St JULIEN for the purpose of digging a line of trenches to be held by the British Lahore Div. Protected by 2nd Bn. extended

Thursday, April 29, 1915

Map Reference: H.2.b
Entry: 2. a.m. in front, and 1st and 4th Bns. in rear, 3rd Bn dug 1200 yds. of trench and were ready to move away by 2. a.m. The trench ran from farm at C.15 c to farm C,22, a. H. 2. b.

430 a.m Bn. returned to Canal crossing B 19 c and marched to Bivouac at farm H. 2. B. arriving at 430 am. Men very tired. Hot tea and food ready. Weather fine and bright.

Friday, April 30, 1915

Entry: Bn. resting in Bivouac. Messages of congratulation from Field Marshal Sir JOHN French and others read to men by C.O

Saturday, May 1, 1915
Entry: Resting in Bivouac

Sunday, May 2, 1915
Entry: Resting in Bivouac. Divine Service by Rev Major Beattie and Capt Gordon. Brig Genl Mercer and staff present.

5:37 p.m. – Order received from G.O.C. 1st Bde to move by shortest route to centre of square H.5. form up under cover and await orders

8.p.m. – 3rd Bn assigned to line on left from H.29 c b8 along track to CROSS ROADS H. 5. a. 8. 8. – entrenched and in readiness by 8:30 p.m.

Monday, May 3, 1915
Entry: 1 A.M. – Situation reported to be in hand and at 1 A.M. Bn ordered to return to Bivouac at VLAMERTINGHE. Arrived at 4 a.m. Bn rested during the day.

9:50 p.m. – Bn marched with transport brigaded to new Billetts at BAILLEUL.

Tuesday, May 4, 1915
Location: BAILLEUL
Entry: 4 a.m. – Arrived BAILLEUL in rain. No men fell out. Bn rested in Billetts all day.

Wednesday May 05, 1915
Entry: Bn. rested. A draft of 357 men and 5 officers arrived from Thorncliffe.

Thursday May 06, 1915
Entry: Re-organization work in progress

Friday May 07, 1915
Entry: Re-organization completed – New roles handed in to orderly room. Orderly Room visited by Gen. Sir Horrace Smith-Dorrion who expressed his entire satisfaction with the work of the division and who desired that all ranks by informed of his conviction, [ILLEGIBLE] confirmed, that in recent action at St. JULIEN the CANADIANS had saved what might have proved a disaster to the 27th and 28th Divisions. The C.O. received Sir Horrace and arranged to convey to the Bn. his remarks.

Saturday May 08, 1915
10:00 a.m. Entry: Bn. joined Brigade in AVIATION FIELD where the force was addressed by Gen. P. Alderson and all officers were presented subsequently.

Sunday May 09, 1915
Entry: Divine service parade of Bde. Held in AVIATION FIELD. Rev. Major Beattie and Capt. Gordon conducted memorial service. Gen. P. Alderson and Staff Brig. Gen. and staff present.

Monday May 10, 1915
Entry: Bn. occupied with platoon training in AVIATION FIELD.

Tuesday May 11, 1915
Entry: Platoon and Coy training continued

Wednesday May 12, 1915
Entry: Platoon and Coy training continued – Route march p.m.

Thursday May 13, 1915
Entry: Rain all day – No training.

Friday May 14, 1915
Entry: Rain all morning. Preparing to move to new Billets – Bn. marched at 9:35 p.m. to CALLONE

Saturday May 15, 1915
2:30 a.m. Entry: Arrived and entered Billets at 2:30 a.m. – Rested all day. Order received to be ready to move on 1 ½ hours notice.

Sunday May 16, 1915
Entry: Sunday – Orders to be ready to move any time after 9 a.m. divine service in orchard at 9.30a.m. conducted by Rev. Capt. Gordon.

Monday May 17, 1915
Entry: Bn. marched to Brigade Assembly at CROSS ROADS Q. 28. D. where Bde. remained in Bivouac until 8:00p.m.when Bde. marched to Billets near CROSS ROADS Q. 30. A.

Tuesday May 18, 1915
Entry: Orders to hold Bn. in readiness to march to relieve troops now engaged.
5:00p.m. Entry: Bn. marched to Bivouac and Billets at X. 1. B. and vicinity. Light rain in afternoon.

Wednesday May 19, 1915
Entry: In Bivouac. Orders received to be prepared to relieve 2nd Bde. in trenches and reserve.

Thursday May 20, 1915
At 12:30a.m. Bn. marched from CROSS ROADS X. 1. B. 8. 2. via LOCON – PONT TOURNANT – MES PLAIX – LES FACONS to Billets in ESSARS. Arrived 2a.m. weather fine. Troops moving westward through ESSARS all day – coming out of trenches.

Friday May 21, 1915
11:05a.m. Entry: Orders for Bn. to be ready to move at short notice. Weather fine and warm. [ILLEGIBLE} Grenadiers reported to Bde. at 5:30 p.m. and were detailed for duty with 2nd Bde. in an attack planned for this evening.

Saturday May 22, 1915
3:15a.m. Entry: Orders to move to trenches held by 1st Bn. in G.H.Q. [ILLEGIBLE] X. 1b. D. – Coys marched off independently at 4 a.m. and occupied G.H.Q. trenches. Message from G.O.C. 2nd Bde. as follows; “The Grenadiers of the 1st Bde. did great work last night. The success we gained is largely due to their efforts.”

3:45p.m. Entry: Orders to move at 8p.m. via route B. to relieve Bn. of 3rd Bde. holding trenches S. 21. D. and S. 27 A.B.

Sunday May 23, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches “B” Coy in orchard – N. 13. to M. 9. “A” Coy M9. to M8. and “D” Coy M8 to M6. “C” Coy in support trench behind M7. Bn. H.Q. at S. 20. B. 4. 4. Heavy shelling by enemy during the night and morning up to 1:30 p.m. At 6:30 p.m. heavy H.E. shell bombardment of section of trench M8 to M6.

Monday May 24, 1915
2a.m. Entry: The house at M9, occupied and placed in a state of defence by “B” Coy. Orders received from Bde. to attack and secure the section of German trench M10 to N14. Orders from Div. through Bde. Bn. orders and report of operation. Owing to the enemy machine gun fire and want of artillery preparation, the attack was postponed.

Tuesday May 25, 1915
Entry: Bn. in trenches. Severe artillery bombardment all day. At time heavy H.E. shells were used which caused away portions of the parapet. Trucks noticed at night by Brig. Gen. P. Mercer.

Wednesday May 26, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Continued severe bombardment all day.

Thursday May 27, 1915
Entry: Bn. in trenches. Bombardment continued with even greater severity. In the evening we were relieved by the 4th Bn. – The 3rd Bn. moved back during the night to reserve trenches.

Friday May 28, 1915
Entry: Bn. in reserve trenches. Subjected to shelling with H.E. and shrapnel at intervals during the day and night.

Saturday May 29, 1915
Entry: Bn. in reserve trenches. Continued heavy shelling. Portion of parapet blown away.

Sunday May 30, 1915
Entry: Bn. in reserve trenches.

Monday May 31, 1915
Entry: In reserve trenches. Relieved by the 7th Bn. Gordon Highlanders of 153rd Bde. at 10:30p.m. “B” and “C” Coys the last five Coys to leave marched off at 10:30p.m. Bn. moved to Bivouac at E b [ILLEGIBLE] when it arrived at midnight for a rest.

Tuesday, 1 June, 1915
Location: Near Bethune (E. b. c and d.)
Entry: In Billets and Bivouac – resting.

Wednesday, 2 June, 1915
Entry: In Billets and Bivouac – resting

Thursday, 3 June, 1915
Entry: In Billets and Bivouac – resting

Friday, 4 June, 1915
Entry: 9.30 AM Inspection by C.O. Short route-march under MAJOR ALLAN.

Saturday, 5 June, 1915
Entry: Coy Training. Bomb throwing and Bayonet-Exercise. Company Sergeant Major PRATT. “A” Coy. accidentally drowned in the CANAL. Body recovered 6 hours later.

Sunday, 6 June, 1915
Entry: 10 A.M. SUNDAY Divine Service conducted by Rev Capt GORDON, attended by all ranks. Brig. Gen MERCER and staff present. 2 p.m. Funeral of Coy S.M. PRATT, attended by A Coy and details from all other Bn. units also by all Sergts and officers. Brig. Gen MERCER and staff was present. Internment in BETHUNE cemetery.

Monday, 7 June, 1915
Entry: In Bivouac and Billets. Coy Training Bomb Throwing and Bayonet-exercise in the morning.

Tuesday, 8 June, 1915
Entry: In Bivouac – Coy Training in morning. Heavy rain in the afternoon – no work possible.

Wednesday, 9 June, 1915
Entry: In Bivouac – rain prevented work.

Thursday, 10 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. moved to Brigade reserve trenches A 7, 8, and 13. taking over from 14th Bn. “A” Coy in SIDBURY MOUND – “B” Coy in DISTILLERY, “C” Coy VAUXHALL Bridge S. of CANAL and “D” Coy. with H.Q at REPORT Centre. Queens Road

Friday, 11 June, 1915
Entry: In Reserve trenches

Saturday, 12 June, 1915
Entry: In Reserve trenches.

Sunday, 13 June, 1915
Entry: In Reserve trenches – Artillery Bombardment commenced in preparation for attack ordered to be made on 15th at 6. p.m.

Monday, 14 June, 1915
Entry: In Reserve trenches – Artillery Bombardment more intense.

Tuesday, 15 June, 1915
Entry: Attack on enemy position opposite H2 and H3 ordered to be made by 1st Bn. supported by 3rd Bn. for the purpose of protecting the right flank of the 7th DIV. which was to make an attack on German position H3-I4. Col. HILL in command of 1st Bn. launched his attack at 6. p.m. At 5.58 a mine was exploded in front of the DUCK’S BILL near H2.

6.20 PM Bde. ordered 1 Coy to move forward to support of 1st Bn. “B” Coy under Lieut ROGERS, was sent to support, Col HILL, with his Coy.

6.40 PM “A” Coy ordered forward to ORCHARD TERRACE to replace “B” Coy gone to fire trench.

8.35 PM “C” Coy ordered to ORCHARD and B Coy received instructions from Col BEECHER, in command in front trench to send forward t enemys trenches a supply of bombs and some bombers to assist the 1st Bn. who had been held up for want of bombs and also owing to the failure of the 7th DIV. on left, to secure the German trenches. “B” Coy party under Lieut. and MAJOR B. OSBORNE went forward but had to retire with 1st Bn. forces when they returned to the British trenches. MAJOR OSBORNE was wounded in the operation.

10.30 P.M. The 1st Bn. having suffered severely Brig. Gen MERCER ordered the operation to be carried on by 3rd Bn. which was to make an attack at 11.30 P.M. ALL 1st Bn. men were replaced by 3rd Bn. and the force organized for the attack.

Wednesday, 16 June, 1915
Entry: The hour was finally fixed for 5.30 A.M, and ultimately postponed indefinitely.

3.55 AM Order to 3rd Bn. to return to Reserve trenches after being relieved by 2nd Bn.

12.30 P.M. Orders from Bde. 4th Corps will again attack this afternoon same objectives as yesterday AAA. 1st CANADIAN Bde will make necessary preparation for attacking H2-H3 with 3rd Bn.

1.30 P.M. Orders issued to Coys, “D” Coy on left, “C” Coy on right. Advance to be made at 4.45 p.m. “A” and “B” Coys in support

4.45 P.M. The advance was made as ordered but owing to the 7th DIV. not being able to go forward on account of the heavy machine-guns and rifle fire, the 2 Coys of 3rd Bn. were checked and subsequently retired to the British trench.

7.45 P.M. Orders from Bde to be prepared to make an attack at 9. p.m. with fresh troops. Arrangements made for the attack to be delivered by RCD of Seeley’s Det. supported by 3rd and 2nd Bns.

8.10 Orders received postponing the proposed attack.

8.37 Orders for defence of fire trench to be taken over by 2nd Bn. and other men to return to Reserve trenches. Relief completed by midnight 16/17 June.

Thursday, 17 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Reserve trenches – Relieved by 2nd Bde and marched to Billets at OBLENGHEM where Bn. arrived at 3. p.m.

Friday, 18 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Billets – resting –

Saturday, 19 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Billets – resting – Lt.Col RENNIE left at 5. A.M. on 5 days LEAVE

Sunday, 20 June, 1915
Entry: Divine service parade – Service conducted by Rev Capt MOFFATT.

Monday, 21 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. resting in Billets.

Tuesday, 22 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Billets. Coy route march.

Wednesday, 23 June, 1915
Entry: Bn in Billets – Coy inspection

Thursday, 24 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Billets – Lt.Col RENNIE returned at noon.

Friday, 25 June, 1915
Entry: Orders to march at 9.45 to new Billets at NEUF BERBUIN – a draft of 42 N.C.O and men joined today – also a party of 125 N.C.O and men for 2nd Bde. This party marched to NEUF BERBUIN

Saturday, 26 June, 1915
Entry: 2. A.M. Arrived at Billets

9.47 P.M. Orders to march at the this hour to new Billets at NOOTE BOOM where Bn arrived and went into Billets at 11.30 p.m.

Sunday, 27 June, 1915
Entry: SUNDAY. Divine Service postponed owing to heavy rain. Bn rested during the day and marched at 5.45 p.m. to Reserve Trenches on BUN HILL ROW – PLOEGSTEERT WOOD and Billets at “The PIGGERIES” U19

Monday, 28 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. occupying Reserve trenches and Billets.

Tuesday, 29 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. occupying Reserve trenches and Billets.

Wednesday, 30 June, 1915
Entry: Bn. occupying Reserve trenches and Billets.

July 1, 1915
Entry: Dominion Day. Bn. in Reserve with H.Q. at the PIGGERIES. N. of PLOEGSTEERT. Gifts from friends in TORONTO and extra rations issued to N.CO and men.

July 2, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Reserve. A working party supplied to improve trenches – marched off at 730 pm and returned at 3 A.M.

July 3, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Reserve. Working party of 200 men marched off 730 to 8 p.m and returned to Billet at 3. A.M.

July 4, 1915
Entry: 1030 AM. Bn. in Reserve. Sunday. Divine service by Rev. D. PRINGLE. held in wood N.W. of PIGGERIES.

July 5, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Reserve. Releived at 9. P.M. by 16th. Bn. and marched to Bivouac area T.26.b. Arrived at 11 p.m.

July 6, 1915
Entry: T.26.b Bn. in Bivouac. Inspection at 2.p.m. and short route march.

July 7, 1915
Entry: Bn in Bivouac. Route march and Coy training.

July 8, 1915
Entry: Bn in Bivouac. Route march and Coy training.

July 9, 1915
Entry: Bn in Bivouac. Route march and Coy training.

July 10, 1915
Entry: Bn in Bivouac. Bomb throwing practice.

July 11, 1915
Entry: Sunday – Divine Service conducted by Rev D. PRINGLE.- Brig- GEN. MERCER. C.B. and staff in attendance.

July 12, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Bivouac Route march and Coy training.

July 13, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Bivouac. Route march and Bomb throwing

July 14, 1915
Entry: 1215 A.M. Bn. in Bivouac. Bde. inspected and addressed by. F.M. Commanding in Chief, Sir JOHN B.P. FRENCH. in field B.8.c.2.5.

July 15, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Bivouac. Coy training and Bomb throwing.

July 16, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Bivouac. A 8.P.M. moved to Hutments at BULFORD CAMP.

July 17, 1915
Location: Bulford Camp
Entry: Bn. in Hutments. Rain. No training.

July 18, 1915
Entry: Sunday – Holy Communion at 10.A.M. Divine Service parade of Bn. at 11 A.M. Service conducted by Rev Capt WARNER.

July 19, 1915
Location: Bulford Camp
Entry: T.26.A. Bn. in Hutments.
9.A.M. Muster Parade. 945 to 12. noon. Route march under MAJOR ALLAN.
2 p.m. Coy drill.

July 20, 1915
830A.M. Officers visited trenches at PLOEGSTEERT WOOD to be taken over by 1st Bde. on night of 21/22. Lt. Col. ALLAN, 20th. Bn. 2nd CANADIAN DIV. arrived for a period of 4 days observation in trench routine.

July 21, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Hutments. Inspection in morning of all equipment and quarters.
5.p.m. Bn. marched to trenches in Secs. 126. to 130. Detail. “A” Coy to Sec. 126 – “B” Coy to Sec. 127. – “C” Coy to Sec. 128 and 129 – “D” Coy to Sec. 130.
545P.M. At road junct. T.27.b.9.0. the Bn. was inspected while marching past in fours, by the Right Hon. Sir ROBERT BORDEN. Prime Minister of CANADA, accompanied by Lt. Gen. ALDERSON and Brig.Gen. MERCER with their respective staffs.
9.p.m. The Bn. releived the 16th. BN in the trenches which operation was completed at 9.p.m. and without casualty. Lt. Col. ALLAN, accompanied the BN. to the trenches.

July 22, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Situation generally very quiet. Little firing and no casualties. Working parties engaged during the day cleaning up the trenches.
8.p.m. A draft of 223 N.CO. and men under Major EDEN SMITH arrived at 8 p.m from SHORNCLIFFE_35th BN. – as reinforcement. The party was inspected at Transport Lines by. C.O. and after being supplied with rations and ammunition was marched to the trenches. One platoon was attached to “D” Coy and one platoon to “C” Coy. The remaining two platoons under Major Smith occupied the Support Trench S. 128 and S 129. No casualties. Rain all night. Situation in trenches very quiet.

July 23, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Situation very quiet. Trenches visited by Brig. Gen. MERCER. No casualties. Improvement work carried on. Lt. COL. ALLAN departed at 8.A.M. for SHORNCLIFFE.

July 24, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Improvement work continued. Communication trenches cleaned and deepened.
930 p.m. Artillery bombarded German ration point at MESSINES for 2 minutes and after an interval of 8 minutes again bombarded the same point for 1 minute. Firing appeared to be effective. Enemy began firing at 945 and continued until 10.15 p.m. in retaliation. About 20. H E shells struck top of the ridge within 200 yards of 3rd Bn. H.Q. No casualties reported from our trenches.

July 25, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Trench improvement work continued. Situation quiet. No casualties.

July 26, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Situation continues quiet. No casualties.

July 27, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. At 830 A.M today a sentry reported having observed some of the enemy in the growing wheat in front of Bay 6. Sec 129, and about 150 yards out. Capt. F.O. TIDY accompanied by No 9648 Pte. J. BRUNO, No 63198 Pte. N.A. CANDLISH and No 18966 Pte. M. LUBERVICH went out and cut them off. Two of the enemy surrendered at once when covered with a revolver by Capt. TIDY. A third man at first held up his hands and then fired upon the patrol. The shot did no harm. Pte. BRUNO then returned the fire with two shots, killing the German instantly. The two Germans who surrendered were then brought into the lines, entering at the junction of Secs. 128 and 129.
As a result of patrol work during the previous five nights, a sniping post or enemy advanced station was supposed to exist in the vicinity of the spot where these men were taken, and particular instructions were given to all sentries to watch the district with greatest care. This morning movement was noticed and the patrol under Capt. TIDY went forward at once and came up on the right rear of the position of the enemy’s post. The patrol succeeded in approaching to within 6 yards of the post without being observed. The enemy party was completely taken by surprise and was captured at 930 A.M. The body of the man killed who was of the 25th. BAVARIAN REGT. was not brought in, but all of his effects, including his rifle and equipment were secured.
Prisoners names MAX KUFNER_ Sec Leader. _ GEO. ERHARD _ and _ SCHUSTER. (Killed.) All of MUNICH. Gy.
Work of improving trenches continued. Situation quiet.

July 28, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. At 945 last night an enemy scout was killed by listening post and his body with Rifle and Bayonet were brought in for examination. All identification marks had been removed. One casualty reported. Pte. GROVES wounded in shoulder.

July 29, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Very quiet. Orders to hand over to 15th. Bn. in the evening. Releif completed and coys and units marched off by 10.p.m. all in good order. BULFORD CAMP reached at 11 p.m.

July 30, 1915
Entry: Bn. in BULFORD CAMP Hutments resting.

July 31, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Hutments resting. Route march under Major ALLAN 2 p.m. to 330 p.m.

Sunday, August 1, 1915
Entry: 11-AM. Bn. in Hutments. Divine Service conducted by Rev. Capt. Gordon, assisted by Rev. Dr. PRINGLE, sacrament of the LORDS SUPPER dispersed at a subsequent service held in officers mess.

Monday, August 2, 1915
Entry: Bn. Route March. Coy Training – Bomb Throwing and Trench digging.

Tuesday, August 3, 1915
Entry: Bn in Hutments. Bomb throwing continued. Coy and Platoon Drill.

Wednesday, August 4, 1915
Entry: Bn Route March. First-Aid Lectures by M.O. Bomb Throwing continued. Concert in the evening attended by many of the men.

Thursday, August 5, 1915
Entry: Bn. Route March. First-Aid Lectures completed also Bomb Throwing instruction. Army Act read at afternoon parade.

Friday, August 6, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Hutments. “A” Coy marched at 6.30 p.m to relieve Coy of 16th Bn. at St. YVES and FORT BOYD. “B” Coy marched at same hour to relieve Coy in Sec.s 124 and 125. Relief completed at 9.15. Both Coys taken over by Lt.Col. HILL of 1st Bn. C and D Coys with Headquarters marched at 7.30 to GRAND MUNQUE FM. relieving 15th Bn.

Saturday, August 7, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Brigade Reserve. Situation quiet.

Sunday, August 8, 1915
Entry: Sunday. Bn. in Reserve. Divine Service con-ducted by Rev. Capt. WARNER. Brig-Gen-MERCER and staff present. 8 p.m. Heavy bombardment heard in direction of St. Eloi.

Monday, August 9, 1915
Entry: Bn. in Brigade Reserve. Heavy firing distinctly audible. Report from 2nd Corps at 11. A.M. intimating that 6th Div. Had re-taken trenches at HOOGE. Situation very quiet. One casualty in B Coy – slightly wounded.

Tuesday, August 10, 1915
Entry: Bn. in reserve. Situation very quiet. C and D Coys relieved A and B Coys in trenches.

Wednesday, August 11, 1915
Entry: Bn. in reserve. Situation quiet.

Thursday, August 12, 1915
Entry: Bn. in reserve. Situation quiet.

Friday, August 13, 1915
Entry: Bn. in reserve. No change in situation

Saturday, August 14, 1915
Entry: Bn. in reserve. Working party of 100 men supplied in the evening. Lt. Col. Rennie left today on leave.

Sunday, August 15, 1915
Entry: Sunday – Divine Service conducted by the Rev. Capt. GORDON at 10.30A.M. Bn. took over front line trenches 124-125-126 and 127 and support trenches except 124-125, and subsidiary line. HASTED HOUSE to NEW FORT. Also Chateau LA HUTTE.
Detail. A Coy 124-125 to BIRCHALL AVE.
B “ Remainder of 125 and 126 with 126.S.1. and S.2.
D “ 127-127.S.1. and 127.S.2.
C “ Subsidiary Line.
Weather showery. GRAND MUNQUE FM. taken over by 8th Bn.

Monday, August 16, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Commencing at 4.25 p.m. enemy dropped 7 H.E. and Shrapnell Shells dropped at 3 min. Intervals near KENT HOUSE. No serious damage. Intermittent rain.

Tuesday, August 17, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Situation quiet. Rain.

Wednesday, August 18, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Our heavy guns shelled the enemy at 2.30 p.m. They replied on our front line trenches. No material damage. Unsettled weather.

Thursday, August 19, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. More artillery firing on both sides. No damage. Carrier pigeon service started. Pigeons left at Bn. Hqrs. for use in communications. Fair.

Friday, August 20, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Situation quiet. Fair.

Saturday, August 21, 1915
Entry: Bn. relieved by 2nd Bn, in the evening. Relief completed at 7.25 p.m. Moved to BULFORD camp in Div. Reserve. When relief had started an enemy aeroplane came over the lines, holding up the relief for some time. Weather showery.

Sunday, August 22, 1915
Entry: Sunday. Bn. in Hutments at BULFORD Camp. Service at 10.30 A.M. conducted by Rev. Capt. WARNER. Working party sent to HYDE PARK Corner in the evening.

Monday, August 23, 1915
Entry: Bn. resting. Lt. Col. Rennie returned today.

Tuesday, August 24, 1915
Entry: Bn. resting. BULFORD Camp.

Wednesday, August 25, 1915
Entry: Bn. resting. Route March by Coys in the morning.

Thursday, August 26, 1915
Entry: Bn. resting. Coy drill practised.

Friday, August 27, 1915
Entry: Bn. marched to trenches and relieved 2nd Bn. Relief completed at 9.15 p.m. “C” Coy took over trench 124 and 125 to Birchall Ave. and “A” Coy occupied Subsidiary Line.

Saturday, August 28, 1915
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Situation quiet. At 2 p.m. enemy dropped 16 large H.E. and 4 Schrapnell shells in area. KENT HOUSE MUDLANE Barricade – CHATEAU. Our shell carried away a portion of breastwork. No casualties.

Sunday, August 29, 1915
Entry: Sunday – Bn. in trenches. Situation quiet.

Monday, August 30, 1915
Entry: Bn. in trenches. Quiet.

Tuesday, August 31, 1915
Entry: Bn in trenches. Inspection made by Lieut. Gen. ALDERSON accompanied by Brig-Gen. MERCER. GEN ALDERSON expressed his entire satisfaction with the condition of trenches.

September 1, 1915
Location: Ploegsteert Wood
Entry: Bn. holding trenches. Situation very quiet.

September 2, 1915
8:10pm Bn. relieved by 2nd bn. and moved to billets at the PIGGARIES. Rain

September 3, 1915
Bn. in Support. Rain.

September 4, 1915
Bn. in Piggaries in Support. Rain. A draft of 97 N.C.O. and men arrived from base.

September 5, 1915
Sunday. Rain. Divine service could not be held.

September 6, 1915
Bn. in Piggaries – Weather clearing.

September 7, 1915
Bn. in support. Weather fine and warm.

September 8, 1915
Bn. in Piggaries in Support. Weather fine.
5:45pm moved to trenches relieving 2nd Bn. Trenches 124 and 125 BIRCHALL AVE held by “C” Corp. Trench 125 from BIRCHALL AVE to ALDERSON AVE held by “A” Coy and from ALDERSON AVE. to left trench No. 127.

September 9, 1915
Location: Ploegsteert Wood.
Entry: Held by “D” Corp. Subsidiary Line and Breast works held by “B: Corp. Relief completed at 7:40pm Bn. Hqrs. moved to new dug-out near MUD LANE Barricade.
9am Bn. Holding trenches. Very quiet during night. Brig. Gen.l MERCER visited the lines. No casualties. .Weather fine and warm.

September 10, 1915
Very quiet. Little sniping and not account of artillery firing from enemy lines. Working parties engaged all day improving trenches. ——

September 11, 1915
9:30 Brig. Gen’l Mercer visited and inspected trenches.

2:30 pm Enemy fires six 5.9 shells into area near POOLES’ COTTAGE and MUD LANE BARRICADE. No damages done.

September 12, 1915
SUNDAY. More sniping than usual also more artillery activity.
7:15pm In the evening, Reo Capt. WARNER, visited the Hqrs and held a short service,–attended by all not on working parties.

September 13, 1915
Location: Ploegsteert Wood
Event: Bn. holding trenches. Some sniping and artillery fire, otherwise very quiet.

September 14, 1915
7am Lt. Col. RENNIE, left to attend Special machine Gun Course for one day at WISQUE. Bn. holding trenches. At 6pm relief by 2nd Bn. commenced and completed at 7:15. Corp. moved independently to BULFORD Camp for rest. All Corp. in by 9p.m.

September 15, 1915
Location : Bulford Camp
Event: Bn. resting today. Football in the afternoon.

September 16, 1915
Inspection of kits and equipment in the morning. Section drill in the afternoon.

September 17, 1915
9am Inspection by C.O. of equipment and clothing of all ranks. Inspection of transport in afternoon. Bn. sports completed.

September 18, 1915
Bn. resting. No work except completion of kits and stores and cleaning of accoutrements and clothing. At 6pm a draft of 69 men arrived from the Base, and were assigned to Corp.

7. P.M. Concert in the evening, attended by 3000 to 4000 men in vicinity of camp.

September 19, 1915
Event: 9. A.M. Parade of all ranks for purpose of spraying Respirators. Working party of 100 men to 2nd Fd. Corp. C.E. and another party ordered for tonight.

11 AM Service by Rev. Capt. WARNER. MUSTER Parade held this AM

September 20, 1915
9 A.M. Parade of Bn. in fatigue for presentation of Prizes won in recent sports. Preparations made for moving to trenches in the evening.

4:45 Moved to trenches by Corp. “C” Corp leading. Relieved 2nd Bn. at 7:15pm “C” Corp holding trench 124 and 125 to BIRCHALL AVE. “A” Corp holding 125 from BIRCHALL AVE. trench 126 and 127 to WESTWOOD AVE. “B” Corp holding trench to left of 128. Line lengthened owing to withdrawal of 3rd Bde. “D” Corp in occupation of Breastworks and Subsidiary Line. Very quiet and little sniping when going in.

September 21, 1915
Location: Ploegsteert Wood
9 A.M. Bn. holding trenches. Weather fine and warm. Brig. Gen’l MERCER visited the line and indicated improvements which should be made in parados of 128, 127 and 126. The general bombardment of the enemy’s lines commenced and became more audible. During the morning shrapnel and a few H. E. shells were placed in vicinity of St. YVES. No damage done. All men withdrawn from trenches under fire. Quiet during the afternoon and evening. No casualties.

September 22, 1915
Location: Ploegsteert Wood
Bn. Holding trenches. Working parties engaged strengthening the parapet and constructing dug-outs.

3.pm Enemy threw 40 to 50 shells, mostly small, in area trench 124. 125 and St YVES—no damage done. At “stand to” this morning the enemy shouted to our lines “we are Saxons”—who are you?” Our men replied with Rifle fire. No casualties.

September 23, 1915
BN. Holding trenches. Arrangements made for issue of a supply of Bags containing straw—1 for every 2 yards of trench. Maj. Allan attended meeting with A.A. & Q.M.G. for purpose of deciding the method of using. Enemy threw about 80 shells into the area about 124 and St. YVES. This was evidently in retaliation for trench mortar fire directed by 14th BN on our right, upon BROKEN TREE HOUSE. In view of an expected machine-gun bombardment of enemy’s  lines to be made during the night, all working parties called off. Casualties one man killed, member of “C” Corp. and two slightly wounded. Also three men slightly wounded and returned to duty.

September 24, 1915
Bn. Holding trenches. Operation Orders received giving instructions for conduct of a proposed demonstration to be made on 25th. All stores to be left at Bn. Hqrs. MUD LA NE, in the event of our advance. Arrangements completed for movement of transport and bringing forward supplies.

10:30 Enemy very quiet during the day. Our Artillery began a bombardment of PETIT DOUVE FARM at 10:30 and continued until 4:30. C.O. attended meeting at Bole HQRS For instructions as to part to be taken in Demonstration.

9 p.m. All officers met C.O. in front trench to discuss operation.

10:30 p.m. Machine gun bombardment of roads and prominent-features in rear of enemy’s line. All ranks ordered to be ready for duty at 3:30am. 25th unit. No casualties.

September 25th, 1915
3 A.M. Heavy machine gun fire by all guns in Brigade front. No return fire by enemy after first few minutes.

3:40 A.M. Battle Headquarters taken over by C.O. and staff.

4:30 A.M. Message from Bde. postponing discharge of smoke-bags until 5:50.

5. Heavy artillery bombardment of enemy’s lines near PETIT DOUVE FIN and MESSIIVES.

5:56 Smoke-bags thrown over parapet simultaneously. Heavy smoke resembling gas proceeded which steadily floated along the ground to the German lines. Men in five trenches withdrawn to security trenches. Rifle fire from enemy opened and continued along whole line.

6 A.M. Enemy opened artillery bombardment of trenches 124 and 128.

6:17 Smoke completely obscures view of enemy trenches.

25th 6:35 A.M. Enemy rifle fire slackened, bat artillery still active.

6:50 Front to enemy trench clear of smoke. Rifle fire much reduced.

7:30 Very quiet. Rifle fire almost ceased.
From early morning the heavy bombardment in the South was quite audible, and also a similar operation on the North
During the morning advice was received of the advance of the British Army operating near LA BASSEE

4 P.M. Enemy again bombarded trench 128 to which our guns replied until 5 p.m.

September 26th, 1915
Bn. Holding trenches. Very quiet all day. Brig. Gen’l MERCER visited trenches in the morning. Information of the continued success of British and French forces received by telephone.

7:15 pm Bn. Relieved by 2nd Bn. Arrived at PIGGARIES at 9 pm.

September 27th, 1915
Bn. In Bde. Reserve. Paymaster paid all Corp. Three officers left for 7 days leave. Weather cloudy and cool.

September 28th, 1915
Bn. In Bde Reserve. Rain during day. Working party of 150 men supplied in morning.

September 29th, 1915
Rain during night and morning. Working party of 150 men supplied for work on new trench near Ration farm. All work cancelled at night owing to rain.

September 30th, 1915
Clearing weather. Bn. In Bde. Reserve. Telegram received advising capture of 100 Guns and 25000 enemy by French in Champagne district. Heavy firing heard N. of Can. Corps. Front. Working parties of 108 men supplied at night.

Friday, October 1, 1915
Entry: 8:30am Working party at SHRINE T-18-A. 4 of 150 men.

7:30pm Working party as above. 50 men. Fine.

Saturday, October 2, 1915
Entry: 8:30am Working party of 20 men on BATTLE AVE. Fine.

Entry: 3pm Relieve 2nd Battalion “D”coy 124-125 to BIRCHALL AVE, “A”coy. 125-127 to WERTWOOD AVE. “B”coy 127-128, “C”coy Subsidiary Line.

4:40pm Relief completed. 4 Officers + 4 C.S.M. 8th K.O. Royal Lancaster Reg’t attached. Fine.

Sunday, October 3, 1915
Entry: 8am One company 8th K.O.R.L. attached for 24 hrs, placed in front line.

8:30am Working party of 20 men for 2nd F.C.C.E.

8:30pm Working parties of 60 men on 127S, 60 men on 128S, Fine.

Monday, October 4, 1915
Entry: 8am One company 8th K.O.R.L. attached for 24 hrs, placed in front line.

7pm 5th Can: Bn Took over CHATEAU LA HUTTE, STABLE FORT and Section 128. “A”coy took over Section 126, “B”coy took over Section 127. CHATEAU garrison moved to POOLES COTTAGE. Lt. Col. THORNE C.O. 8th K.O.R.L. visited trenches. Capt MASON + Lt. McINTYRE reported. Fine.

Tuesday, October 5, 1915
Entry: 8am One company 8th K.O.R.L. attached for 24 hrs placed in front line.

11am Brig. Gen. PRATT 76th Bde went round trenches with G.O.C. 1st Can. [unreadable] Bde. Lt ANGLIN returned from M.G. School. Fine.

Wednesday, October 6, 1915
Entry: 8am One company 8th K.O.R.L. attached for 24 hrs placed in front line. Fine.

Thursday, October 7, 1915
Entry: 7am No 63797 Cpt A. SCOFIELD killed “D”coy.

Entry: 5:45pm Line taken over by 8th K.O. Royal Lancaster Regt.

8pm Unit in huts. Fine.

Friday, October 8, 1915
Entry: 7pm Marched via NEUVE-EGLIS to DRANOUTRE Divisional Reserve to our new line. Fine.

Saturday, October 9, 1915
Entry: 10:30am Company Officers visited approach to new line. Fine.

Sunday, October 10, 1915
Entry: 9am Church Parade by Capt GORDON.

2:30pm Lt. Col. RENNIE, Major ALLAN visited G.H.Q. line. Fine.

Monday, October 11, 1915
Entry: 9am “A” Company + details paid, remainder Bayonet Exercise.

2pm Company drill + pay for remainder. Fine.

Tuesday, October 12, 1915
Entry: 9am Route March, 2 officers + 13 O.R. on leave. Fair.

Wednesday, October 13, 1915
Entry: 9:30am Inspection of Battalion in full marching order by C.O.

10am Promulgation of F.G.C.M. on No18667 Pte MICHALOFF [Wounding with intent to do grevious bodily harm].

3pm Battalion “stood to” on account of smoke demonstration on our front. Rain.

Thursday, October 14, 1915
Entry: 10am 5 new Officers joined the Battalion.

3pm Battalion move out + relieved 2nd Can Pon. in trenches D1, D2, D3, + D4

6:30pm Relief completed. Fine.

9:20pm No. A4224 Pt. J. VALENTINE “C”coy shot in shoulder, died at dressing station, buried T-4-B4.9 Sheet 28

Friday, October 15, 1915
Entry: 2:30pm Germans fired rifle grenades into our trenches.

6:30pm No. 63537 Pte. J. LYNCH M.G.S. shot + died at dressing station, buried T-4-[unreadable] 49 Sheet 28. Fine.

Saturday, October 16, 1915
Entry: 7am Lt. CAMERON wounded in back by bullet. Fine.

Sunday, October 17, 1915
Entry: 4:20pm Heavy German shelling around R.E. FARM. 36 counted up to 4:55pm. Fine.

Monday, October 18, 1915
Entry: 9:30am Brig. Gen. MERCER visited trenches.

11:30am Heavy shelling of R.E. FARM. One direct hit. Fine. 24 O.R. reported for duty.

Tuesday, October 19, 1915
Entry: 10am No. 11451 Pt. BOWLES wounded in hand.

4pm shell hit Hdqrs dugout. Heavy phosphorus fumes very evident for several hours. Fine.

Wednesday, October 20, 1915
Entry: 7am 2 officers + 13 O.R. returned from leave.

10:10am Brig. Gen. MERCER visited trenches.

6:20pm Battalion retrieved by 2nd Can. Pon. “B”Coy moved to SOUVENIER FARM. “C”coy to R.E. FARM.

Thursday, October 21, 1915
Location: WOOD FARM
Entry: 10am In huts. Capt. ALLEY reported. Fine rain at night.

Friday, October 22, 1915
Location: WOOD FARM
Entry: B.S.M. BLAKE FORSTER granted commission. C.S.M. COOPER made B.S.M. Fine.

Saturday, October 23, 1915
Location: WOOD FARM
Entry: In billets. Fine.

Sunday, October 24, 1915
Location: WOOD FARM
Entry: 10:30am Church parade by Capt. WARNER. Brig-Gen. MERCER attended and addressed the Battalion. Regt Band played for the first time.

Monday, October 25, 1915
Location: WOOD FARM
Entry: 7:00am Raining hard. Working parties called off.

9:00am Q.M. and 17 O.R. went on leave. 1:00pm No. 9890 L/Cpl R.E. BROWN killed.

Tuesday, October 26, 1915
Location: WOOD FARM
Entry: 9:30am British plane brought down a German ALBATROSS, the fight occurring just over WOOD CAMP. German dropped behind 3rd C.[unreadable] Bde. trenches, one occupant being killed, other wounded + captured.

10:00am Draft of 23 O.R. reported from SHORNCLIFFE.

1:00pm MAJOR ALLAN and 2 O.R. went on leave.

2:00pm 3 officers and 50 O.R. left for a MILITARY FUNCTION.

4:00pm Commenced relief of 2nd Battalion in D1, D2, D3, + D4. 5:55pm Relief Completed – weather fair.

Wednesday, October 27, 1915
Entry: 6:30am Sentry in D4 shot a German.

7-8:30am Enemy active with rifle grenades. We retaliated with double the number.

11am R.E. FARM (Battn H.Q.) shelled.

2:20pm H.M. the King reviewed details from the Canadian Corps at LOCRE. From this regt. CAPT. VAN DER SMISSEN, LIEUTS. MACDONALD and WEDD and 50 O.R. were present. Royal Salute was given by troops in hollow square, who marched past H.M. and lined the LOCRE-DRAMOUTRE road. H.M. who had been mounted, passed down the lines in a motor and was enthusiastically cheered. The Regt. Band played the National Anthem as H.M. passed our transport. H.M. saluted in acknowledgement. The following was received from SIR HERBERT PLUMER: “H.M. the King desires me to say that he was very pleased with the soldierly bearing of the troops and with all that he saw of the SECOND ARMY today.”

7:00pm Two officers and 17 O.R. returned from leave.

8:15pm Enemy active with rifle grenades opposite D4. LIEUT. G.E. REID and 2 O.R. wounded. We replied with double the number. Night quiet – weather unsettled.

Thursday, October 28, 1915
Entry: Very rainy, trenches in bad shape, dug-outs parapets caving in. 3 O.R. wounded. Wiring, damage and repairs take up all the time. A little bombing and sniping.

Friday, October 29, 1915
Entry: 11am GEN MERCER + MAJOR WEBBER visited trenches.

3:00pm SHELL FARM, R.E. FARM and support-lines heavily shelled for half an hour, with whizz-bangs and cool-boxes. Our guns retaliated.

3:10pm Pte. Cairns instantly killed by a bullet through the mouth. 3 O.R. wounded during the day – began raining steadily, trenches + dug-outs caving in.

Saturday, October 30, 1915
Entry: 9am Front trenches and CHESTER LE STREET heavily shelled. Little damage.

1-1:30pm Half hour of heavy shelling, same locality + R.E. and SHELL FARMS. Little damage.

3-3:30pm Half hour of heavy shelling, one direct hit on D3 and 2 on R.E. FARM. Four O.R. buried, no serious injuries.

4:00pm 2 O.R. in D1 badly wounded by rifle grenade. PTE. EASTMAN, J., caught and threw back a grenade, saving several of his comrades. Weather – fair. Time occupied by repairing trenches and dug-outs.

Sunday, October 31, 1915
Entry: 5:30am LIEUT. G.E. GRAGG slightly wounded by stray bullet.

4:45pm Germans very active with rifle grenades, wounding 6 O.R. in D4. 12th Battn C.F.A. 8:20pm

CAPT. TIDY and LIEUT. BURKE and 30 O.R. went on leave. Train’s departure from BAILLLEUL having been altered to 6:27AM.

Date: November 1, 1915
Location: In Trenches
Entry: 9 am – 3 pm Lively shelling on both sides, our field guns and heavy howitzers and German whizz=bangs and coal-boxes (5.9 how) 20. R. wounded and 20.R. badly shaken. Our heavies very effecting in German front line.
5:00 pm Relief by the 2nd Battalion commenced.
6:00 pm Relief complete without incident.
9:00 pm Regiments in billets, huts, & tents, in and wear DRANOUTRE. Weather—Raining heavily all day. Raw.

Date: November 2, 1915
In billets. Rain.

Date: November 3, 1915
Location: (ditto) DRANOUTRE
In billets. Q.M. and 17 O.R. returned from leave. Battalion mustered. Rain.

Date: November 4, 1915
Location: (ditto) DRANOUTRE
In billets. MAJOR ALLAN returned from leave. Rain.

Date: November 5, 1915
Location: (ditto) DRANOUTRE
In billets. Unsettled.

November 6, 1915
Location: (ditto) DRANOUTRE
4:00 pm Moved out to relieve 2nd Battalion, in D1-D4.
8:00 pm Relief completed. Mud very bad, dugouts fallen in. Parties of 4th C.M.R. attached for training, about 15 O.R. to each of our companies. 2nd Canadian Division on our left, 4th Battalion on our right.

November 7, 1915
Location: In Trenches
11:20 a. m. SGT. BRUNO shot in face while repairing parapet.
2:10 pm 1 C.M.R. and one of ours slightly wounded. Very quiet day occupied in draining and repairing trenches. Fair.
6:00 pm Parties of C.M.R. relieved those with us.

November 8, 1915
Location: In Trenches
11:00 a. m. PTE. BLISSETT killed while repairing roof of dugout. Buried at 2 p.m. in cemetery on WULVERGHEM road.
11:20 a.m. GEN. MERCER went through trenches. Our artillery towards PLOEGSTEERT very active. No retaliation. LT. COL. SMITH, LT. COL. GORDON AND MAJ. DENISON of C.M.R. visited H.Q. at R.E. Farm, and went through trenches.
5:00 pm. C.M.R. parties relieved.
8:00 pm. Draft of 43 O.R. reported and were sent in to the trenches. Weather –cloudy. 2 officers and 24 O.R. went on leave.

November 9, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
German guns active all morning. Dressing station on WULVERGHEM road heavily shelled. 28 percussion 77mm shells burst along DURHAM ROAD. 1 C.M.R. slightly wounded.
2:00 pm. A corp., in D1 caught a German carrying in the open, and dispersed them with rapid fire, killing one at least. The German communication trenches are evidently in very bad conditions.
8:00 pm. German rifle grenade slightly wounded 1 O.R. in D4. C.M.R. again relived . COL. RENNIE and 11 O.R. went on leave. Weather—Cold, rain at night, gales.

November 10, 1915
Location: In Trenches
7 O.R. wounded by rifle grenades. 2 C.M.R. wounded. C.M.R. completed tour and left without relief.
5:30 p.m. Relief by 2nd Battalion completed. Regiment went into Brigade Reserve, 1 corp. at R.E. Farm, one at Souvenir Farm near ST. QUENTIN CABARET, two corp. and headquarters at WOOD CAMP.
CAPT. J. B. ROGERS reported. Weather showery, fresh west wind.

November 11, 1915
Location: WOOD CAMP
Rain all day. LT. COL. RENNIE made Brigadier –General, and posted to 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division.

November 12, 1915
Location: (ditto) WOOD CAMP
Pte. MARKUM’s sentence of 90 days no. I F.P. promulgated. Rain all day. Work called off.

November 13, 1915
Location: (ditto) WOOD CAMP
In billets. Rain

November 14, 1915
Location: (ditto) WOOD CAMP
11:00 a.m. Church parade of B& C Corp. with the band. REV CAPT. GORDON took the service.
3:15 p.m. Left WOOD CAMP to relieve 2nd Battalion in D trenches.
5:30 p.m. Relief completed. CAPT. MASON to hospital sick.
7:00 p.m. Leave cancelled, port of BOULOGNE closed. Weather fine and cold.

November 15, 1915
Location: In Trenches
10:30 a.m. Cpl. Sproule “A” Corp. shot a German.
3:10 p.m. PTE DICKSON “C” Corp., shot through face
10:30 p.m. Sentry in D3 shot a German
Leave on again; 11 O.R. went off.
Weather—fine, cold.

November 16, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
9 a.m. Our guns opened on German line near PETITE DOUVE FME., and continued intermittently until dusk.
3:00 p.m. Heavily shelled by a 5.9” on a train, using A.P shells. Lt. H.C. JONES and 7 O.R. wounded by one. Our heavies retaliated. Two 9.2” shells landed in our own lines, fortunately causing no casualties.
6:00 p.m. 1 O.R. wounded in D4 by rifle grenade.
9-10p.m. Our heavies pounded PETITE DOUVE steadily
2 p.m. 5th and 7th Battalions raided German line near PETITE DOUVE, bayonetting some 20 or 30, bombing others, and returned with 12 prisoners. Germans failed to retaliate. D section profoundly peaceful throughout the night. Weather –unsettled.

November 17, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
4 a.m. Sentry in D4 shot a German
4:00 p.m. Front line and R.E. FARM shelled, 2 O.R. slightly wounded and shaken
4:30 p.m. BRIG. GEN. RENNIE came in to say good-bye and left to take over t4th Brigade.
6:45 p.m. Germans sent over 5 torpedoes. No damage. Prompt retaliation by our guns. Quiet night. Weather—snow in morning. Later cloudy. Cold.

November 18, 1915
Location: In Trenches
10 a.m. -12 p.m. Considerable artillery activity on both sides.
LEG. CPL. ROBERTSON, C Corp. accidentally killed by a bomb.
6 O.R. wounded during the day.
5:05 p.m. Relief by 2nd Battalion complete. Battalion marched by platoons to DRANOUTRE.

November 19, 1915
In billets. CAPT. A.K. HAYWOOD visited us. Weather –fair, cold.

November 20, 1915
Location: (ditto) DRANOUTRE
2:00 P.M. MAJ. GEN. MERCER visited us.
2:45 p.m. BRIG. GEN. RENNIE visited us.
3:00 p.m. LT. GEN. ALDERSON came to investigate PTE. EASTMAN’S performance with German bomb (see entry for 30. Oct) and heard evidence as to the occurrence.
3:35 p.m. CAPT. MASON reported from Hospital. Regimental football team went to BAILLEUL to play 3rd C FIELD AMBULANCE and beat them 2-1. Weather –dull, cold.

November 21, 1915
Location: (ditto) DRANOUTRE
10:30 a.m. Church parade. REV. CAPT. GORDON took the service. Band much improved.

November 22, 1915
Location: (ditto) DRANOUTRE
3:00 p.m. Moved to relieve 2nd Battalion in D trenches. CAPT KELLY, LT. MACDONALD and 24 O.R. went on leave.
5:25 p.m. Relief complete.
7:15 p.m. SGT. WHITEACRE hit in arm by bullet.
PTE. HASTINGS slightly wounded by rifle grenade.
CAPT. PRITCHARD AND CAPT. FOREMAN, 12/6 S.W.B. attached for instruction.
Weather –cold, very heavy fog.

November 23, 1915
Location: In Trenches
11:20a.m. LT. COL. HILL (acting Brig.) and MAJ. WEBBER, B.M., visited trenches.
12:00 p.m. LT. EVANS, O.C. 1st BDE MNG Section seriously and LT CHEVALIER O.C. 3rd Bde MNO. Section slightly wounded by rifle grenade in D4. 1 O.R. slightly wounded. MAJ. NEWMAN and 11 O. R. went on leave. Weather—misty, cold.

November 24, 1915
Location: In Trenches
7 a.m. D3, D4 and support lines evacuated except for small guard.
9 a.m. Guns opened on trenches and wire opposite D section and other places. Fire continued intermittently till 1:30 p.m., and from then heavily until 3:30p.m. German wire cut in many places and trenches wrecked, large heads blown in parapet and many casualties caused. Germans who bolted from the shelled section over the open were badly caught by machine guns. One of the “Towers” of MESSINES CHURCH demolished, the other hit but not destroyed.
9:45 a.m. PTE. HEWLETT, B Corp. killed by a short burst. CAPT. TREMAINE R.C.H.A., in D2 as F.O.O., seriously wounded by same shell.
3:40 p.m. Germans retaliated very feebly. Their last shell killed PTE. RICHMOND M.G.D., and slightly wounded two O.R. Very quiet night. Weather –cold, clear.

November 25, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
6:15 a.m. CAPT. PRITCHARD and CAPT. FOREMAN, 12/6 S.W.B. having completed Rein Tour, left for England.
2:45 p.m. PTE. MURRAY, M.G.D., shot through the head while sniping in D4.
2:50 p.m. Sniper in D4 saw a German at a latrine which had been exposed by our shelling’s. He believed him to be an officer, as he wore a cap with a shiny black peak and had on a white shirt. Sniper shot him through the body just as he stood up.
4:35 p.m. PTE. RAESIDE slightly wounded by rifle grenade.
Unusually quiet day, Germans firing only 9 shells near D section. Prompt retaliation in ratio of 3 to 1 followed in each case.

November 26, 1915
Location: In Trenches
10:00 a.m. BRIG.-GEN. HUGHES AND MAJ. WEBBER, B.M. visited R.E. FARM
6:00 P.M. A & B Corp. relieved by 1st Battalion, C & D by 2nd Battalion. (A Corp. held D1, B Corp. D2, C Corp. D3, D Corp. D4). Relief completed without incident. A Corp., D Corp., and H.Q. moved to WOOD CAMP, B Corp to farm at T.10.& 7.5. and C Crop to farm at T.3 & 1.0 (ref 1/20,000 map sheet 28) Weather cold, clear.

November 27, 1915
Location: WOOD CAMP
11:00 a.m. Award to PTE. EASTMAN, D Corp., of D.C.M. (see entry of Oct. 30) announced on morning parade of A and D Corp. Valedictory letter from MAJ. GEN. MERCER, now commanding Canadian Corp. Troops, read.
4:30 p.m. BRIG. GEN. HUGHES visited H.Q. at WOOD CAMP.
Weather—cold, misty.

November 28, 1915
Location: (ditto) WOOD CAMP
2:30 p.m. Church parade with band. REV. CAPT. GORDON took service.
Weather –very cold, misty.

November 29, 1915
Location: (ditto) WOOD CAMP
MAJ. H. EDEN SMITH and 23 O.R. went on leave. SGT. GRAVES, B Corp. accidentally wounded.
Weather –mild, rain.

November 30, 1915
Location: (ditto) WOOD CAMP
All leave cancelled
3:00 p.m. Moved to relieve 2nd Battalion in D3, D4, 14a, 14b, 14s, 15 and E4. Relief completed at 5:15 p.m.

December 1, 1915
Location: In Trenches
Entry: 9:15 a.m . PTE. MAY, D Corp., shot in wrist.
2-4 p.m. Lively cannonade on right. All quiet on our front.
Snipers got 3 Germans during the day. Weather—fine, mild.

December 2, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
Capt. KELLY and LT. MACDONALD returned from leave.
10:15 a.m. BRIG.GEN. HUGHES and MAJ. WEBBER visited trenches. Huns spotted them with MAJ. ALLAN and CAPT. MASON, and sent four whizz bangs at them. No harm done. R.S.M. COOPER in Pr. II orders as W.O. 1st class.
4:00 p.m. LT. C.G.D. POWER wounded in 18 places by rifle grenade. None serious. PTE. KIRK slightly wounded. Huns very nervous. Sixteen shells came over about midnight—a rare occurrence. Weather—rainy, mild.

December 3, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
10 a.m. BRIG. GEN HUGHES and MAJ. WEBBER visited trenches. MAJ. NEWMAN returned from leave

December 4, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
Relieved by 2nd Battalion.
3:40 p.m. Relief complete. Moved to billets in DRANOUTRE.
CAPT. E.E.E. BAILEY AND LT. GREACEN, 8th Bde. Can. Training Division reported for training. LT. J. M. KNOWLES reported for duty. CAPT. A. K. HAYWOOD reported for duty. Weather-dull, mild.

December 5, 1915 – Sunday
10:30 a.m. Church parade, A & D Corp. REV. CAPT. GORDON took the service.
CAPT. COOPER, LT. MACNAMARA and 21 O.R. went on leave.
2:30 p.m. Band gave concert in the square. CAPT. VALIQUET went to 1st Bn. Weather—rain, later fair Mild.

December 6, 1915
Location: (ditto)DRANOUTRE
12 O. R. went on leave. Weather—rain, later fine Mild

December 7, 1915
Location: (ditto) DRANOUTRE
In billets, LT. W. H. KIPPEN reported for duty. Weather—unsettled.

December 8, 1915
Location: (ditto)DRANOUTRE
2:00 p.m. Moved to relive 2nd Bn. Held up at N. 33. D. 0.5 by German shelling the WULVERGHEM RD, until 4:30 p.m.
5:25 p.m. Relief complete. Noisy night, no casualties. Weather—cool, fine

December 9, 1915
Location: In Trenches
Very quiet day. Weather—rain

December 10, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
Quiet day. Heavy rain
11:50 p.m. PTE. SYMONS B Corp. wounded while digging new trenches from 15 to BULL RING.

December 11, 1915
Location: In Trenches
3:00 p.m. 3 O. R. wounded in D4 by rifle grenades.
10:00 p.m. Grenades thrown into enemy trench at a working party by a patrol caused some excitement, finally subdued by our grenadiers with rifle grenades. Newton rifle grenades used for first time—very effective. PTE. HODSON, M.G.D., died of wounds. Weather –heavy rain.

December 12, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
9:30 a.m. PTE. DAY, grenadier, slightly wounded by rifle grenade in D4
Relived by 2nd Bn.
4:30 p.m. Relief complete. H.Q. and C Corp. to AIRCRAFT FARM (N 32.B.2.1) B Corp. to WOOD CAMP (N.32.a.central) A Corp. to PETAWAWA (T.10.B.5.7) and D Corp. to TEA FM (N 34 d.0.5). Grenadiers to Brigade Grenade School.

December 13, 1915
In billets. Fine. Draft of 36 O. R. reported

December 14, 1912
Location: (ditto) AIRCRAFT FM
In billets. MAJOR W. RAE reported for duty. Fine

December 15, 1915
Location: (ditto) AIRCRAFT FM
In billets. CAPT. BAILEY and LT. GREACEN returned to England

December 16, 1915
Location: (ditto) AIRCRAFT FM
Moved to relieve 2nd Battalion.
5 p.m. Relief complete
7 p.m. PTE. LEPROSS, grenadier, killed by rifle grenade. Weather foggy.

December 17, 1915
Location: In Trenches
10 a.m. 2 O.R. accidentally wounded by Newton rifle grenade.
2:20 p.m. PTE GREATHAM shot through head, died at dressing station.
5:00 p.m. LT. HUTCHISON reported for duty.
LT. KNOWLES went sick to hospital.
11:30 p.m. PTE. BARKER, grenadier, slightly wounded in ear by premature explosion of a Newton Rifle grenade.
MAJOR MARRIOTT reported for training.

December 18, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
11:30a.m. PTE HOPKINS shot & killed while wiring in front of 15. PTE Phillips shot & killed while sniping
Weather –fine.

December 19, 1915
Location: In Trenches
3:00 am Heavy rifle fire from YPRES salient.
5:25 am Heavy gun fire from YPRES salient. (Word received Germans had attempted a gas-attack , but were stopped by our guns.)
5:45 am Gas very noticeable in our trenches.
3-4pm Heavy gunfire from YPRES salient—Gas again very noticeable.
4:45pm LT CALHOUN and LT. McLEAN reported for duty. LT. ANGLIN and LT. HOLLAND and 9 O.R. went on leave.

December 19, 1915
Location: Location: In Trenches
4:20pm LT. GAIRDNER to Brigade to act as Grenade Officer during illness of CAPT. KELLY.

December 20, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
Relieved by 2nd Brigade.
6:00 p.m. Relief complete. Battalion marched by platoons to billets in DRANOUTRE.

December 21, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
In billets. Band gave concert at B&D Corp. billet.
Weather fair.

December 22, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
In billets. Band gave concert at A&C Corp. camp. Weather fair. LT. GAIRDNER returned.

December 23, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
In billets. Band gave concert in YMCA tent.
Christmas cheer for all ranks. Christmas dinner in officers’ Mess. Guests—MAJ. WEBBER, CAPT. CROWTHER, REV. CAPT. GORDON, MAJ. PHILIPS C.A.M.C. Band in attendance.

December 24, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
Moved to relieve 2nd Battalion.
6:30pm Relief complete, H.Q. at COOKERS FARM (N34 G9.4.) B Corp. on left, connecting with the 6th Brigade 2nd Canadian division. A Corp. in the centre, C Corp on right connecting with 4th Battalion. D Corp. in battalion reserve at R.E. FARM (N35 d8.5).

December 25, 1915 –Christmas
Location: In Trenches
Germans attempted to makes friends but gave up after several of them were shot. CPL. NASH, B Corp. and PTE. KEOWN, A Corp. both shot through head and killed. Quiet day. H.Q. moved to R.E. Farm (N35 d. 8.5) at night. Weather fair.

December 26, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
Considerable artillery activity on both sides. LT. GORDON to hospital. Weather fair.

December 27, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
CAPT. VANDERSMISSEN and 9 O.R. went on leave. Draft of 29 O.R. reported. 5 O.R. slightly wounded by rifle grenades in D4. Weather fine.

December 28, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
3-5:30 p.m. Heavily shelled all along front and about SHELL FM 9N36 c.1.8) by 5.9 in, and 8 in, H.E, in retaliation for worrying Germans all morning with heavies and trench mortars. 3 O.R. killed—PTE’s BATEUP and ROBERTS, A Corp. and E DEY, Grenadiers. 8 O.R. wounded. Weather fine.

December 29, 1915
Location: (ditto) In Trenches
4 p.m. 2 O.R. wounded by rifle grenades in D4.
Relieved by 2nd Battalion.
6:05 p.m. relief complete.
Moved to billets in Bds. Reserve as follows: H.Q. and D Crop. At TEA FARM (N34 D.0.5). A Corp. AIRCRAFT FARM (N32 b. 2 1/2. 1) B Corp., in FARM T 10.b.5.7., C Corp in SCREEN FARM ( ).

December 30, 1915
Weather unsettled. LT. ANGLIN, LT. HOLLAND and 9 O.R. returned from leave

December 31, 1915
Location: (ditto) BDE RESERVE
MAJ. MARROOTT returned to ENGLAND having finished his two weeks training.
All quiet for the NEW YEAR’S beginning.

4 thoughts on “3rd Bn War Diaries 1915”

  1. Hello! I was wondering if you have transcribed the 19-page list that is in an appendix to the 1915 War Diary with the names of the killed, missing and wounded during the Second Battle of Ypres? It has over 500 names in it and is dated April 30, 1915. Thank you 🙂


  2. Good work, have read this diary some years ago at NA Kew but now able to peruse at leisure. Following the active service of my Gt Uncle (Pvt John Spencer Richardson 426921) from joining the 3rd in Sept 1915 to his mortal wounding on the 3/9/16 near Mouquet Farm d o w 9/916.

    Liked by 1 person

We welcome your comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

"In Pace Paratus – In Peace Prepared"

%d bloggers like this: