A laser etched granite marker, bearing the cap badge of the 3rd Battalion (Toronto Regiment), with the inscription in English and Vlaams (Flemish), commemorating the 2nd Battle of Ypres, April 1915. The marker was dedicated in June 2012 by the current Commanding Officer of The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada, Lieutenant Colonel Sandi Banerjee.
In English the plaque reads:
“On 22 April 1915, the Germans launched the first major gas attach of WW1 in this vicinity.
The 3rd Battalion (Toronto Regiment), Canadian Expeditionary Force was rushed forward to help fill the gap between Kitchener’s Wood and the village of St. Julien. The line was held, but at a tremendous cost of 19 officers and 460 other ranks killed, wounded or captured.
We Will Remember Them
Toegewijd aan/Dedicated by
The Governor General’s Horse Guards
The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada
And The Royal Regiment of Canada
– the 3rd Battalion’s Perpetuating Regiments”
Near St. Julien, Belgium