Rennie Street and Park were named for the family of Major General Robert Rennie who operated Rennie Seeds. In 1889, Robert’s father William constructed an imposing home overlooking Grenadier Pond and moved with his family including unmarried sons Robert and Thomas from the George Street residence. Around 1890, the firm constructed greenhouses and trial grounds for the seed business adjacent to the family home in Swansea. When Robert retired from the company in 1925, the Swansea trial grounds were redeveloped into a very exclusive residential area.
In the Swansea are of Toronto west of Grenadier Pond.