Sergeant Charles Jarvis Townsend was born about 1858 in Brantford, Ontario, son of John Thomas Townsend and Eliza Hamilton.
In 1885 he served in G Company of The Queen’s Own Rifles with the North West Field Force.
Townsend married Annie Josephine Polson on 31 December 1899. The had a daughter Constance; a son, Lieutenant Alan Jarvis Hamilton Townsend who died 19 September 1916 while serving with the 4th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force at the Somme (who had also served with the QOR); and a son John.
Charles worked for many years as an antiques dealer.
Townsend died of cardiac disease in Toronto on 4 February 1922 and is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto: Plot 14 8 3.
- by 1878 – Private with The Queen’s Own Rifles (paylist)
- 1880 – Private (paylist)
- 1880 – Corporal (paylist)
- 1882 – Sergeant (paylist)
- 1885 – Sergeant in North West Field Force (later awarded the North West Canada Medal)
- 1886 – Colour Sergeant G Company (paylist)
- 1887/88 – Colour Sergeant G Company (nominal roll)
- 1888/89 – No longer shows up on nominal roll